My first SLAM...encouragement needed...

May 4, 2015
Avon, IN
Making sure I'm on the right track here with this... started my SLAM on Thursday, 5/7/15 at 9pm. My pool was clear but not sparkling. My initial testing numbers showed CC=3 so started the SLAM. Here's my process so far...

5/7/15 9pm
FC=11
CC=3
pH=less than 7.0
TA=220
CYA=40
Added bleach (to goal of 16) and Borax (to goal of 7.2)

10pm FC=17

5/8/15 at 630am
FC=14.5
CC=1.0
Added bleach (to goal of 16)

5/8/15 at 5pm
FC=13.5
CC=1
pH=7.0
TA=200
CYA=50
Added bleach (to higher goal of 20)
Vacuumed

5/8/15 at 630pm
FC=21
CC=0.5
No additions

5/8/15 at 830pm
FC=21.5
CC=1.0
No additions

5/8/15 at 940pm
FC=22
CC=1.0
No additions

5/9/15 at 7am
FC=17
CC=1.5
Added bleach to goal of 20

5/9/15 at 1130am
FC=17.5
CC=0.5
CYA = 50-60? ***Rechecked my CYA again (because I had added some Wednesday to the skimmer before my test kit came since my strips were registering 0 - now I'm afraid it will go haywire!)
Added bleach to goal of 24 since the sun is shining and it's daytime...
Brushed pool

I'm seeing blackish stuff in corners of pool and along edges - it brushes and vacuums right up so I'm not thinking it's algae but I've also never seen algae so I could be wrong.

Here's MY plan (correct me if I'm wrong):
1. Keep FC up today to shock level (20-24)
2. When testing later tonight, I'll recheck the CC level. If still 0.5, great!
3. When I check first thing tomorrow morning, if my FC loss is less than 1, I'll stop the slam. If it's not, then I keep going another day??

Opinions? Encouragement welcome? This is my first time.... :)

Yes keep your FC at or above shock level
As long as CC stays where it is that is good and you want to make sure your water is crystal clear.

If you do your last add around 7:30pm or so then recheck in 30 mins to make sure you are at FC shock level do not add anything and check in morning just as the sun is rising before pool gets direct sunlight to see if you held over night.

You are doing the right things. You are almost there! The main thing is keep FC at or slightly above SLAM level as often as possible. Dont give up now!

There are 3 criteria for completing the slam.
1. CC = not more than one drop (<.5)
2. You Pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. (not more than 1 ppm loss overnight)
3. Your water is perfectly clear. It may take a couple days for your filter to filter it all out. You need to stay at SLAM FC until its clear.

Dont forget to backwash or clean your filter if the pressure rises 20-25% above the clean pressure. A clean filter will help the filtering go faster

Dead algae looks like light brown dust on the bottom of the pool. If you touch it, it just desintigrates. If you have the dead algae dust, I would recommend to try and easily as you can vacuum it out.

The stuff is not on the walls. It's in the corners where the walls slope to the deep end and brushes up like dust when I brushed it this morning. I disturbed all of it with the brush this morning and will vacuum later today again.

My filter pressure hasn't risen at all. I've made sure the gauge is working properly (it's a new one and I took it off and put it back on last night to make sure it wasn't broken again). I'm watching it. It's about 9 and maybe normally sits at 8 so if it goes up again, I'll backwash... is that OK?

I'm not sure exactly how clear this pool will get...so it sounds like maybe I should keep going for a few days to make sure the filter cleans it all up? Like how long is a typical SLAM when you are just slightly cloudy at the beginning? I was more hoping to stop the SLAM earlier rather than later (have 3 kids that think the water is 95 degrees!!) and then let the filter do its thing...so maybe I shouldn't do that and keep FC up for a few more days?

- - - Updated - - -

Then after all this, I'll continue to adjust my pH.... right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.