Pool and Door alarms

Mar 12, 2015
Escondido, CA
Hello Everyone,

Our pool build is in week 15. Almost finished just waiting for the stone to be sealed and the Stonescape pebble to be installed. My questions is I have grandkids and would like to have door alarms that can be turned off when they are not visiting, is there such a alarm? I also would like advice on a pool alarm. I have installed deadbolt covers that they can not open from inside the house so they should not be able to go out without an adult. They are only 6 months and 21/2 so I think they will work for a while. Any other suggestions? I don't want a fence around the pool. I have heard bad comments regarding the covers and dogs falling in and not able to get out. I have two dogs also that I want to protect.

All jurisdictions are going to require a positive means to exclude children from the pool area. In most areas that is interpreted to require a non climeable fence. Some will let you substitute a safety cover.

When you say you don't want a fence, are you talking an additional child safety fence? I'm kind of confused what you are looking for.

As to alarms, do you have a whole house security system? Many times an alarm company can program those doors leading to the pool to work like you are looking for. If not I have seen individual alarms that can be mounted on the top of each door that you could turn off/on depending on if the kids are visiting.

Here is a link to the California law regarding anti-drowning measures:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/environhealth/water/Documents/RecHealth/SwimmingPoolSafetyAct.pdf

They have several options you can use but, which ever option you choose it must be properly installed and active before you can get your final acceptance inspection.

Personally, I would go with a passive means of protection. By that I mean something that take little or no action on my part to ensure the safety of my grandkids. My pool is accessable via a door in my garage that requires a key to open the dead bolt. The I have a 6' fence on the remaining 3 sides that has a self closing and latching gate that can only be opened from within the enclosure. Both the gate and access door have alarms which are tied into my whole house alarm system. It chirps when ever either the door or gate is opened.

One last point, check with your insurance company to see what they may require in addition to California. They may have requirements that go way above the state law.
excellent point. When we purchased a house with an existing pool our insurance company actually sent an inspector out to look at the house/pool.

I do have a security system in our home. When the door opens, it chimes. I want additional security devices. We are required to have door alarms for California and that's about it that I know of. The alarm I have has a bypass to go out but not to come in. The alarm goes off when ever I come into my house which is a little annoying because it is so loud. We have an inspection tomorrow.

These are the alarms I used to pass inspection: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046786U4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a second bypass button you can plug in and run to the outside to make the alarm not sound when you re-enter.

There are alarms that have an "off" switch to entirely disable them, but here in FL, those don't pass code. Once you get you're done with inspections, you really don't need to care much about what meets code anymore, but in case you want to stay compliant, ask the inspection if alarms that have "off" switches are compliant with both your state and local (county/city) codes.

These are the alarms I used to pass inspection: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046786U4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a second bypass button you can plug in and run to the outside to make the alarm not sound when you re-enter.

There are alarms that have an "off" switch to entirely disable them, but here in FL, those don't pass code. Once you get you're done with inspections, you really don't need to care much about what meets code anymore, but in case you want to stay compliant, ask the inspection if alarms that have "off" switches are compliant with both your state and local (county/city) codes.

well I don't think that's very good advice. if you install something to pass inspections and then remove them you are opening yourself up to a world of pain. god forbid a kids drowns in your pool, good luck, your insurance company is probably going to deny your claim and you will be SOL

I didn't tell him to not put in non-compliant alarms. In fact, I did the opposite. I told him alarms with "off" switches, which he what he originally asked about, are not code compliant in another state, and that he should check with his inspector before using them if he wants to stay code compliant.

Watchful parents are better then any pool alarm or barrier system, they are all false senses of security. If a child drowns in your pool because they bypassed those mechanisms (which toddler can easily do) are you going to blame it on the fact that your alarm or fence didn't work?

The codes here in FL are quite a bit silly about all of this, it's probably similar any many other states. Forget about access from the home. What about access from outside the home? The perimeter fence on my property is partially down. The front gates to let you into the back yard are missing, so anyone can walk in. I have a screen room to my pool which has 2 screen doors. The latches are mounted > 54" as required by code, but they are not alarmed, nor do they need to be alarmed. The doors don't even need to be locked all the time. This all passes code.

A child could easily get into the pool from the exterior, no audible alarms to know otherwise, etc. Yet, its compliant. The only thing to protect me as the homeowner is that said child was "trespassing" on my property and thus I'm not at fault. Is that going to really protect me if something happened? Probably not.

But what if it's my own child who went outside a non-alarmed door (like my front door, which doesn't need to be alarmed because it's not on the pool side of the house). Now they can probably lock me up for negligence because I wasn't "watching the child".

So, basically, use your brain, and don't expect "meets code" to protect you. Remember that "meets code" is another term for "lowest possible quality". You can only go up from there, at your discretion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is not realistic for most, but I told my wife that I would not put in a pool until I knew that my kids were strong swimmers. We have 11 and 13 year old kids. And if there is ever any question about another child (visitor or neighbor or friend) then their parent needs to be here to supervise them. If we know the kids are strong swimmers then my wife sits up on the deck and reads a book out of sight as to not embarrass our children when their friends are over. And I know that kids can drown in an inch of water but for the little bit bigger kids, like mine and their friends, our pool is 4 1/2' deep all around, no deep end. As to the "what happens when you are not there" concern we went with an autocover. Yes, I know, they are expensive. I just decided that we were not going to do the build until we could afford the cover and saltwater because that is what I wanted my pool to have.
We have a St. Bernard and he has made some passes over the cover while running hot laps in the big yard (he is normally in his run if he is outside) and it holds up to him just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I think most people will find is that their kids will become strong swimmers if they have a pool that is actively used within a short amount of time. For example my son has been around a pool since he was born and swam almost daily by the time he turned 3, when he was 4 he went to Disney world with his grandparents, and while I was not there I have heard the story many times from those that were. The first night in Orlando, they were all going down to the pool, and my son, being excited like 4 year olds can be, ran ahead of the rest of the group, and running at full speed jumped into the deep end of the pool. Many of the people at the pool started to react as you might expect when he popped up, swam to the ladder, climbed out and jumped back in again, all before his grandparents could catch up with him.

Thank you everyone. I did find a door alarm that I think will fit our needs. It's either on chime or alarm. I will set the alarm when the grandkids are over and the chime for just my husband and myself. My inspector said most folks take them off after inspection. He told me that I could buy one with a off switch after inspection. I have them for peace of mind and I will never let my grandkids or anyone visiting out doors with out an adult. I will have to watch my two dogs when they are out side and not in their dog run. I am also looking into a pool alarm. Any suggestions? The pool guard sounds good but I really don't want to drill holes in my travertine deck. We don't have water in our pool yet, they are scheduled for Friday to install the stonescape pebble but it's expected to rain so I think maybe Monday. I wish it was over and finished!

Thank you everyone. I did find a door alarm that I think will fit our needs. It's either on chime or alarm. I will set the alarm when the grandkids are over and the chime for just my husband and myself. My inspector said most folks take them off after inspection. He told me that I could buy one with a off switch after inspection. I have them for peace of mind and I will never let my grandkids or anyone visiting out doors with out an adult. I will have to watch my two dogs when they are out side and not in their dog run. I am also looking into a pool alarm. Any suggestions? The pool guard sounds good but I really don't want to drill holes in my travertine deck. We don't have water in our pool yet, they are scheduled for Friday to install the stonescape pebble but it's expected to rain so I think maybe Monday. I wish it was over and finished!
make sure to post pics when it's done! We all love pool pics.

Glad you found the solution to your issue.

For anyone else who happens to find this thread -
There was a whole house alarm by ADT already installed when we bought our house. I was also concerned about my young son getting outside without my knowkedge and taking a swim.

We had a couple of issues with the alarm and just happened to get an "old school" technician that came out to fix it.

He programmed our alarm so that the entire house worked as one would normally have it - door is opened and you have 30 seconds to put in the code before the alarm sounds.

But he also programmed it so that the back door (which led to the pool) was on a constant and instant alarm (no delay). In order to get out the back door without the alarm going off you had to enter a special bypass code. However!, this meant that if someone broke into the house via the backdoor (which would have been optimal for a burglar) the alarm company would not be called. The fix for this was to install a motion sensor right next to the door (rather than being for an entire room) and that would trip and function like the remainder of the house did according to if it was set on away or night or disarmed.

Anyway, once the bypass code was entered, the door was no longer armed at all. So we just had to remember to renegage the back door when we were done being outside for the day.

One thing I'd suggest doing for this is to put a note on the door at eye level that says the alarm will sound if bypass code is not first entered. So when friebds come over and go out your back door to see the pool while you're preparing drinks in the kitchen, you don't all get the jumpouttayourpsnts scare.

Thought the part about having to renegage the alarm might be a PITA or we would forget. But it turned out to be the perfect solution for us.

Something to note - the technician said this was something not many would know how to do (why, I'm not sure). But if you can get the right person, it's obviously dooable.

I ordered the Alarm mentioned in this thread to meet the Florida code - Techko S187D

Found the best price here but Amazon and Lowe's have them for a few $ more:
Techko S187D Safe Pool Magnetic Sensor Entry Alarm

Received the alarms today and will be starting to install them. Will need them ready for Safety Inspection on my new pool in about 4 weeks. PB did not include safety fence or alarms in my contract. He said I could do a better job at a much lower cost.

Lot's of work though 'cause I have 14 windows that face the pool :crazy:

Having spent 40 years in the Fire Service as everything from Firefighter/Paramedic to Fire Chief, I've seen way too many tragic situations. I maybe just a little obsessive about safety around my pool. From outside my house you have to enter the back yard (where the pool is) through a five foot fence gate with a self closing Magnalatch. The rear doors on the house have self closing spring loaded hinges and the latches have been raised, I also added a draw bolt 5 feet off the floor and an alarm that is set to produce a loud series of tones every single time the door is opened. In addition once you are outside in my covered, attached patio it is enclosed by an additional 5 foot fence with its own Magnalatch gate. All of the protective measures are always there, with the exception of the draw bolts which are only used when the grandkids are here.

There is no such thing as being too careful with child safety. I can't believe that poeple actually install safety systems to meet codes and remove them after inspection. Imagine what legal liability you would have if anything happens, not to mention the moral implications.

I ordered the Alarm mentioned in this thread to meet the Florida code - Techko S187D

Found the best price here but Amazon and Lowe's have them for a few $ more:
Techko S187D Safe Pool Magnetic Sensor Entry Alarm

Received the alarms today and will be starting to install them. Will need them ready for Safety Inspection on my new pool in about 4 weeks. PB did not include safety fence or alarms in my contract. He said I could do a better job at a much lower cost.

Lot's of work though 'cause I have 14 windows that face the pool :crazy:

Are all your windows floor-to-ceiling, or is it required on every window, even one's that are a few feet off the ground? I only had 1 window facing the pool but it's above the kitchen counter (in front of the sink) and I didn't have to alarm that one.

There are 5 French Doors that open to the pool area and the connected Lanai.

Plus there are 9 windows that have sills 36" off the floor so they need alarms.

Actually the 9 windows are really only 3 but need 9 alarms. One is a 4 section bay window. Another a 3 section bay window and the 3rd is double section window. Had I known this when I built the house 2 years ago I might have been able to use fixed panes in most if not all of these windows or raised sills to 4' and been exempt from the alarm requirement.

As for the back of the pool area the screen cage will meet the code with locks 54" or higher. I am also using Twitchell SuperScreen 17x20 material which is not required but stronger than std. screen.
In addition I will be fencing the yard.

I asked the inspector if I could lock the windows with a pin since I have doors nearby and the windows aren't required to open for egress as a door is nearby. He said no the law requires the alarms. I even told him I have built in Burglar Alarm system that beeps when not armed and a door or window is open.

So I will get busy installing the alarms.

I could have used Baby Fence (very expensive and many holes in the paver deck) or a combination of Baby Fence and alarms. But for $275 plus 9 volt batteries I'm going with the alarms. Most will be hidden behind the window treatments and in Florida we rarely open the windows.

All jurisdictions are going to require a positive means to exclude children from the pool area. In most areas that is interpreted to require a non climeable fence. Some will let you substitute a safety cover.

When you say you don't want a fence, are you talking an additional child safety fence? I'm kind of confused what you are looking for.

As to alarms, do you have a whole house security system? Many times an alarm company can program those doors leading to the pool to work like you are looking for. If not I have seen individual alarms that can be mounted on the top of each door that you could turn off/on depending on if the kids are visiting.

Is there such a fence that is really non climbable ? It sounds as if you'd end up with something similar to what they have around maximum security prisons... :( I think that all regular chain-linked fences are possible to climb if someone really wants to do it. I think in an area with a lot of kids around you may need something more than just a fence t keep them out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.