My pool is disgusting

I bought an intex metal frame above ground pool last July for my 7 year old son an have been having problem after problem with this pool every since I opened it up last summer. For starters because I couldn't find the drain plug once the weather got cooler I never ended up draining or closing the pool af it sat all through fall and became a disgusting green color and appeared to have live bugs in it and then also sat through a pretty bad winter and almost froze completely through luckily come spring this year I didn't notice any tears or leaking im the pool but it has become a pool swamp as you can imagine by now.. Infested with different living bugs, the water is atrocious and a gross green color and there's evident algae on the bottom of the pool I have read up to try this BBB method and as long as I keep up with the levels of the ph and chlorine I should be good and I have yet to try this but seems to be the most cost efficient way based on how much money I spent last year just attempting to keep the water clear enough for my son to swim in. At any rate I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations that can keep our pool clear and healthy that aren't going to kill my pockets... And also is there any other way I can drain my pool to just start over from scratch?! Maybe that would be best!? Thanks anything helps!
-desperate mom

For starters, welcome.

You're going to need a test kit if you want to keep the Pool clean for your boy. What size Pool do you have and where are you located? Don't worry, we don't make house calls!

If you're willing to learn The TFPC way, you'll need to start in Pool School. We can tell you what to do all day long but until you're willing to learn it, what we say will be useless. So, here are a few links to get You started:
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
Test Kit Comparison
Recommended Levels

You're going to have questions, and we'll be here to answer them. If you want to drain the pool, scrub it out and refill it, you can do so with a sump pump.

Hi, welcome to TFP! If it is one of the smaller pools, 5000 gallons or less then draining and starting over would be easiest. Can you edit your signature line in your profile and tell us how large the pool is, what type of filter it has, and what type of pump it has? This information will help us to give you advice relevant to your pool.

Dont worry desperate mom, you came to the right place. I second the motion to all of the comments above.

As zea mentions, if you have less than 5000 gallons, it will best to start over. From there, we can help you learn what to do and you will be amazed how easy and inexpensive it ends up being.

Dont trust what the pool store people tell you. They will try to sell you magic cures and snake oil and none of them will work. What we try to teach people here is proven to work..every time.

We're looking forward to the day you post that you are a 'happy mom'.... and if you let us help you, that will be very soon!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.