McKinney, TX First Time Pool Owner (New Build)

May 7, 2015
McKinney, TX
I am looking for some input and validation. I just received my first bid (2 more coming).

Pool
Size: 31x15
Spa Size: 8'6" x 6'6'' (6 jets)
Depth: 3.5 x 5
Pool/Spa Area: 471
14,351 gal
Pump: Pentair Intelliflow VS
Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge
Controls: Screenlogic
Cleaner: Pentair Racer w/Booster Pump
Heater: Pentair Master Temp 400K Btu Low Nox
Sanitizer: Nature2 Fusion System
Pool Interior: Quartzscape

Construction Specifics: 1/2" rebar throughout, Shotcrete, 2 1/2" suction lines, water way jets in spa

Coping: Oklahoma Flagstone

Decking: 710, Belgard pavers

Price: $60,344

Questions:
Pump: Is this the appropriate pump for this pool?
Filter: Difference between Cartridge vs. DE?
Gunite vs. Shotcrete? This PB states shotcrete superior to gunite (i.e. PSI variance). Other PB states they are pretty similar but he uses gunite.

Still trying to decide between SWG and traditional chlorine. PBs here all promote Ozone. Confused on Ozone because this forum seems to think Ozone is waste of money. PB says that is usually because PBs install chlorine supported by Ozone vs. Ozone as primary sanitation with some chlorine added. Is there a difference in effectiveness if using Del Ozone Corona Discharge vs. UV?

Attachments

• Richardson_001.jpg
    Richardson_001.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 158
I won't comment on pricing because it really does vary by market. The Texas pools always appear to cost less than a Florida pool. (Go figure!) Your setup and equipment seem reasonable for the size. From my perspective, I would not choose the sanitizer or use ozone. SWG is the dominant trend on the board and - in our first six months - I'm very pleased with our SWG system. It has been remarkably maintenance free. I have yet to add chlorine or salt... Hard to argue with that! :cheers:

from everything I have read on here, trade the Ozone and nature 2 and get a 40k/45k salt water generator... you have pentair equipment so I would go with a pentair IC40 with a controller, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-520593-EasyTouch-4PSC-IC40-Integration/dp/B002FQIZ9A

I have ozone in my hot tub and guess what, I got white algae, ozone also likes to eat chlorine so you are suppose to use bromine...

That was how I found this site :)

I cannot comment on the Nature 2 as I have no experience with them. I can tell you the corona discharge ozone was completely worthless. I had one on my previous pool and it did absolutely nothing to reduce chlorine demand, or provide any noticeable benefits.

I recommend the VS pump. It saves on energy and gives you the flexibility to run any speed you want.

Questions:*
Pump: Is this the appropriate pump for this pool? Yes, that will work great, love mine.
Filter: Difference between Cartridge vs. DE? Personal preference, I prefer cart v DE
Gunite vs. Shotcrete? This PB states shotcrete superior to gunite (i.e. PSI variance). Other PB states they are pretty similar but he uses gunite.* You will never know the difference, both probably have lifetime guarantee.
Every pool I ever have will be saltwater, love it.

Questions:*
Pump: Is this the appropriate pump for this pool? Yes, that will work great, love mine.
Filter: Difference between Cartridge vs. DE? Personal preference, I prefer cart v DE
Gunite vs. Shotcrete? This PB states shotcrete superior to gunite (i.e. PSI variance). Other PB states they are pretty similar but he uses gunite.* You will never know the difference, both probably have lifetime guarantee.
Every pool I ever have will be saltwater, love it.

Thank you for the feedback. I feel better about the PBs recommendations.

Good luck and another recommendation to stay clear of the ozone/nature 2 systems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.