Getting ready to close pool BUT

May 21, 2008
Webb City Missouri
I went away and came back to a green pool, and I am getting ready to close for the winter. What do I do about the green algae, will the winterizing chemicals take care of that, or do I need to pre treat before the winterizing. Also how much antifreeze do I put in. If I run the filter, am I loading it up with algae that could cause problems in the spring. I have leaves in the pool, but I plan on getting in there (brrr) and getting them out before I close it, but I wanted to wait until I drop the water level. This is my first time closing, so I am scared I will do it wrong. :hammer: :oops:

You have a choice. You can either close with algae, or fight the algae first and then close. The point of the winterizing chemicals is to prevent you from getting algae. If you already have algae, then there isn't much point to using winterizing chemicals. It is probably better to fight the algae now, but I don't think it will make a huge difference.

Regardless of how you deal with the algae, you will need to backwash/clean the filter right before closing. You don't want to leave a dirty filter over the winter.

Yes, the algae will get worse, but if you put the cover on it can only get so bad. If closing with algae you just check the balance of your other levels, just as you always would, and skip adding chlorine or algaecide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.