Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting ready to close pool BUT

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting ready to close pool BUT

I went away and came back to a green pool, and I am getting ready to close for the winter. What do I do about the green algae, will the winterizing chemicals take care of that, or do I need to pre treat before the winterizing. Also how much antifreeze do I put in. If I run the filter, am I loading it up with algae that could cause problems in the spring. I have leaves in the pool, but I plan on getting in there (brrr) and getting them out before I close it, but I wanted to wait until I drop the water level. This is my first time closing, so I am scared I will do it wrong.
    Tysnest

18x33 AGP
    16000 gallons
    Waterford 1 1/2 HP/2speed
    Waterford High Rate Sand Filter 21 inch tank
    SunGrabber Solar Panels 3 2x20 ft panels
    New at this pool and clueless

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting ready to close pool BUT

You have a choice. You can either close with algae, or fight the algae first and then close. The point of the winterizing chemicals is to prevent you from getting algae. If you already have algae, then there isn't much point to using winterizing chemicals. It is probably better to fight the algae now, but I don't think it will make a huge difference.

Regardless of how you deal with the algae, you will need to backwash/clean the filter right before closing. You don't want to leave a dirty filter over the winter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So do I not put any chemicals in at all? Won't the algae just keep growing and getting worse.
    Tysnest

18x33 AGP
    16000 gallons
    Waterford 1 1/2 HP/2speed
    Waterford High Rate Sand Filter 21 inch tank
    SunGrabber Solar Panels 3 2x20 ft panels
    New at this pool and clueless

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the algae will get worse, but if you put the cover on it can only get so bad. If closing with algae you just check the balance of your other levels, just as you always would, and skip adding chlorine or algaecide.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School