Pentair Whisperflow tripping 20A breaker

chuzie

May 14, 2014
Tampa
I installed a 1.5hp Pentair Whisperflow today I got off c-list for $220. He replaced impeller and seals.

Anyway, I set the jumpers for low voltage to go with my 110v supply. Initially, it didn't want to turn but rather buzzed loudly. Drained the capacitor and tried again and it ran just fine for about 15 minuted and tripped my 20A breaker. I tested the Amperage and it is pulling 23Amps but the motor label shows 16A max. The capacitor is spiking at 300v initially and settles at 270v after startup. This seems wrong to me and I think it may explain why I am having the high amperage issue.

Anyway, are there any suggestions? Would a bad capacitor cause this? I ohmed the cap both directions and it did not charge and go open. I am just concerned if I change the cap, some other underlying issue will cause it to go bad.

How much do those caps go for?

Motor had a bad winding. Trash. Had my old motor bearings changed and plumbed in my old pump.

I am tired of getting screwed on c-list by scumbags.

$220 hard lesson.

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with the older / better version of Tapatalk!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.