Efficiency of T Cell 15

ned8377

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
Wake Forest, NC
In a perfect world, if you had a 40,000 gallon pool and were able to keep the PH, Aklalinity and CYA etc perfect, would the Hayward T Cell 15 be able to keep up at 50% (50P) running the pump 8 hours a day? Everyone on here talks about how it is a good idea to oversize the T cell and I understand the reasoning, that it doesn't have to work as hard but just asking about what it is supposed to do if everything was perfect. Would 50% run time be enough or 75% at 8 hours a day from say 10 in the morning to 6 when the sun is the highest or most intense?

I'm not sure your question can be answered with 100% certainty ? Every pool is different and so are the requirements of each pool. Your pool is 45,000 gallons so a T15 cell would right off the bat be inadequate as per the recommendation here. Pump run time and SWCG time need to be dialed in based on your pools needs. Simply put, its trial and error until you have it where you want it.

Donny hit it on the nose. I like to say each pool is like a finger print, unique. Bather load, water temp, hrs. of sunlight, contaminants that get into the pool along with proper pool chemistry play into the % setting.

The math computes that at 100% running 24 hours a day the T-15 cell can produce 3.9ppm of FC in a day for your 45,000 gallon pool. This may or may not be enough chlorine for your pool depending on time of year, swim load, chemical balance, etc. Average pools use 2-4 ppm of chlorine a day during the summer months.

During the peak swim months I'm guessing that you might need to supplement with bleach every now and then.

In my experience I wouldn't expect it to be able to keep up with a pool that large.

I keep a tight reign on water balance and keep my 20k gal pool clean; bather load is light (just the two of us here). During the summer I usually have to run the T-15 10-12hrs at about 50-60% to maintain 6-7ppm FC (CYA at 80).

- - - Updated - - -

The math computes that at 100% running 24 hours a day the T-15 cell can produce 3.9ppm of FC in a day for your 45,000 gallon pool. This may or may not be enough chlorine for your pool depending on time of year, swim load, chemical balance, etc. Average pools use 2-4 ppm of chlorine a day during the summer months.

During the peak swim months I'm guessing that you might need to supplement with bleach every now and then.

And at that rate I'd expect the cell wouldn't last very long.

I keep the CYA low at about 30 - 50% and have two Nature 2's in line. It kept up fine last summer without the Nature 2's and I was running it at about 75%. Would check water in early morning and would be 2-4 ppm. This summer, I am hoping to be able to run it at lower percent due to having the Nature 2's.

If you raised your CYA, then the SWG would not have to work as hard. Although using a Nature 2 is not recommended. We definitely do not recommend the mineral packs and they would not lower the required FC level anyway. And if you are use the trichlor, that is going to continually raise you CYA, which for now you need, but later you may not.

I don't use Trichlor. I have a Haywood T-15.

Nature 2 claims to lower the required amount of FC. They claim you can lower it down to 0.5 ppm. Personally, I question that but will find out. Any lightening of the load on the SWG would be a plus anyway. Why would I want a high CYA? That would just require a much higher FC ppm to avoid algae.

Well, their claims are bogus. It may help lower the odds of algae, but it is the chlorine that is required to protect you from disease transmission. And all the minerals put you at risk for green hair and staining the pool.

The higher CYA means you will actually lose less FC to the sun, even though the absolute FC level is higher.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Water Balance for SWGs

And this is a good read too regarding the minerals:
The Truth about Alternative Sanitizers

The nature2 adds copper and silver to the pool to act as an algaecide, which the pool stores will tell you lets you run a lower FC. Algae isn't growing, but other bacteria and pathogens can with the lower FC. Higher CYA levels, as recommended for SWG users, protects more of the FC that your SWG is generating. You have a higher FC level, but not as much gets burned off by the sun through the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my experience I wouldn't expect it to be able to keep up with a pool that large.

I keep a tight reign on water balance and keep my 20k gal pool clean; bather load is light (just the two of us here). During the summer I usually have to run the T-15 10-12hrs at about 50-60% to maintain 6-7ppm FC (CYA at 80).

- - - Updated - - -

And at that rate I'd expect the cell wouldn't last very long.

Interesting. I run my pump 11 hours a day and I'm at 15%, maintaining 5 ppm FC.

I agree that mineral systems are a supplemental sanitizer and will not sanitize the water completely but they do help. Also, I agree that there are only three sanitizers - chlorine, bromine and biguanide. Of the three, chlorine is the best and the most economical. Natural minerals, however, such as silver and copper, have been used for thousands of years to effectively control bacteria, algae, and other harmful contaminants. A residual sanitizer is needed, in a pool, that has a fast kill time. Chlorine is the best alternative and a salt water chlorine generator is a great way to supply that residual sanitizer. I'm just trying to use a blended system.

I'm under the impression that lower CYA levels promote better FC effectiveness. People who follow the TFP principles want to preserve as much chlorine as possible and would probably want higher CYA since they may be skipping a day since they last added any chlorine. With a SWG, I am putting chlorine in the pool during the daylight hours when the sun is up. A good analogy is a comparison to treatment for Diabetes. In the past and now, people gave themselves shots each day to keep their insulin under control. There would be ups and downs. Now, there are new treatments and implant pumps that allow the insulin to be given in a measured dose all day instead of in one shot which avoids the large swings in blood glucose levels. The comparison to SWG insertion of chlorine in measured doses is obvious and is the reason that people say salt water pools are superior. In public pools, obviously, there have to be laws governing the type of sanitizer used but in private residential pools there are no laws. I am just trying to find the best system overall.

This is a great website and resource. The TFP methodology is solid and is a great system that helps to develop and promote a simple, inexpensive, and effective system of pool care.

Interesting. I run my pump 11 hours a day and I'm at 15%, maintaining 5 ppm FC.

There have been times I've been able to get away with setting as low as about 30%, but that was with a new cell and keeping FC borderline low (This was before discovering these forums).

Perhaps being at a lower latitude and all day sun explains why we lose more FC?

PS - I just replaced the cell today. The last one lasted 7 years, so I can't complain. We'll see what settings I end up with (waiting for CL to drop to normal after the spring opening SLAM....today's FC is at 14ppm).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.