plumbing question

I did individual ones to mine for the return and skimmer- you MUST connect the main drains (if more than one)to each otherwise you Must connect main drain to the skimmer.

Law based on entrapment hazard and drowning (Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act).

I would add more returns as you want to move the water avoiding dead spots. I have 4 returns and wish I would have added at least 3-4 more.

The individual lines can be shut off if they break or can be converted for cleaner use.

I edited my reply^
The skimmer has a fitting on the bottom to connect the main drain to it.

If you are just building this pool then put in 2 floor drains- 1 each side connect together then to pump .

I would put the Return lines where you have them as well as at least one on each side, either in the middle if single or split distance on each side if adding 2 per side.
They allow you to direct flow of water on top to skimmer, as well as directed to ensure mid and bottom levels are moving

Pool is existing, it was installed 20 years ago. I am new home owner an am installing a new patio so while it's all open I will be replacing the underground plumbing with rigid 2".(currently flex 1.5"). This is where I have my dilemma as far as how to replumb. Adding 2 new returns may be too much of a pain but I should be able to add 1 new return in the deep end since one side of pool will be trenched. My next question is with main drain. Can I replumb this without plugging the line. I don't have scuba gear so I don't see how I can plug the line to stop the flow of water once I cut the pipe to replumb. I'm still deciding whether to do this myself or hire it out. My issue with hiring out is both pool plumber guys I have gotten estimates from want to do the job half assed.(1.5" pipe and connect everything together) I don't relish the idea of trenching myself though

There is nothing wrong with connecting the lines together, it's based on your preference and future planning. 1.5 inch pipe is acceptable and you can tell the plumber that you want 2 inch rigid. They use flex because it's easier for them. ( you're paying, so get what you want)
trenching isn't hard, but it isn't easy either! IT IS Dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

I wouldn't make any permanent decisions until I had the water level down to my planned working height, then trench ( call dig safe first!). Then decide on how to proceed. If it's 20 years old, that explains the not having 2 drains or not connected to skimmer.

I'm not a plumber or pool builder- just a DIY guy.

Are you partially draining the pool or ?

You don't have to remove the drain unless you can't remedy the entrapment issue, if you have access to the skimmer and are re plumbing it, you could connect the drain to it.

I would think that cutting the drain line as high as possible (close to water line) as well as putting a weighted upside down bucket over the drain, you might be able to tie in without losing to much water. I would only do this after skimmer tie in was complete and ready to accept drain tie in.

The bucket my thoughts - (rubber bowl larger than drain) or any brand 5 gallon, add a towel or cloth of some sort to the lip. Then get in pool and put bucket or bowl over drain, set a concrete block on top of bucket. Complete skimmer tie in, cut main drain and connect.
Sounds way easier than it may be, or it might be a snap. Honestly you won't know until you get there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.