Spa pump problem

May 8, 2015
East Aurora, NY
Hello everyone,

I have a spa that has two pumps in it. The main one has two speeds, low for circulation and high for normal operations. The secondary pump is a single high speed pump.

Last year the secondary single speed pump stopped functioning. This spring I did some troubleshooting, and figured that the pump was dead. I replaced the pump but it isn't working.

What I did:
1. Checked secondary pump wires with a multimeter and they seem ok.
2. Plugged secondary pump into main pump outlet and the secondary pump fired up.
3. Plugged secondary pump back into its outlet and checked ends of wires at the pump end and read 120v on both hot lines. Secondary pump will still not run.

Since I'm reading voltage at the pump and the pump runs when plugged into the main outlet, I'm at a loss.

I guess I could check the amperage but I'm at a loss otherwise. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ok.... I left that part out and just went out and checked to make sure I had everything straight:

If I plug the main into the secondary, it does not work but if I plug the secondary onto the main, it does.

Obviously there's something wrong with that secondary "outlet" (it's 220 so it's a special connector, not a standard outlet).

What I don't understand is why I'm getting a voltage at the motor on the secondary (when plugged into the "bad" outlet) but the motor doesn't run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.