New and a little confused

marianegs

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2014
NJ
Got my pool at the end of last year so it was put up and closed on the same day. So this is my fist summer opening and using the pool. I am already with my tf100 test kit (yeah for quick shipping!). Want to open the pool this weekend, I read and re-read the pool school. Just a few questions: 1. I know I check the ph level first, do I adjust that and the fc all at the same time? I.e add bleach and muriatic acid? And 2. Since I am new I have nothing, I know I need bleach, but approximately hoe many muriatic acids do I buy (store isn't that close) and how many borax do I buy. Any other things I will need from the beginning? Thanks for any help you can give!!!

It is very hard to estimate acid requirements, in fact depending on individual pool conditions some pools use no acid at all, much the same can be true for borax.

Ike

p.s. as to the first part of your question, adjust pH, wait a few minutes, then you can work on adjusting FC

First thing you do is make sure it's full and the pump is running and there are no leaks. Let it run at least half an hour before you do anything chemically. Skimming, vacuuming, and struggling to fold up the cover is okay.

Then run a full set of tests. If you're nervous, watch the videos. Test everything. You don't know how much stabilizer, if any, was added last year. If you post the results, someone should be along to advise you within an hour or so. Also, let us know what the water looks like. A clear pool requires a different approach than a green chunky pool.

As far as shopping ahead of time, about all I can recommend is a few gallons of plain bleach until you have readings. You know you'll need that eventually. You might need acid to lower pH, or you might need Borax to raise it. You won't need both, so don't buy both yet. You might need Baking Soda, but how much depends on test results. So that has to wait, too. So does CYA. Low Calcium is no problem with a vinyl pool, so you'll never have to buy any Calcium increaser.

We'll get you through this. No matter how yucky the pool has become, there's no reason it can't be crystal clear and sparkling before Memorial Day. And you'll have the chemistry mastered and find the whole daily routine pretty boring by Fourth of July. You'll also likely become a pool snob by then, too, and avoid other pools that don;t meet your standards.

Like Richard said, some bleach and Muriatic to start.

It doesnt take much muriatic to make a big change in Ph, so one will probably be enough. But you really cant be sure until you test.

Go ahead and post up some results as soon as you can, and we can advise you better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.