season nearly here - preparing the q's

Apr 24, 2008
australia
Our swimming season is near and I'm at the stage of adding solar to the pool.

The pool went in at the end of last summer so we have not yet had a swim in it.

Its a 40000lt AGP with an ozone system/chlorine, auto chlorinator, auto solar contoller (jandy valve), water chemistry is stable and great (has been since installed).

Now I will be needing some advice on the hydrolics/plumbing set up of the solar return to pool so as to keep the ozone injection the same as non solar return.

I have 2 returns going to the pool when solar not operating, another 2 returns (or 1 as I can turn either off) for the solar pipe which is not connected yet as solar is not on roof yet.

I have another mazzei injector manifold for the sloar return pipe.

The ozone has been measured to inject between 4-5lt/min of ozone gas from the UV light chambers into the non solar return pipe.

Will there be some flow/pressure decrease in this solar piping?
Do I need to have a separate solar return or can I just use the extisting returns as I am concerned that the injection won't be the same when solar is operating as when solar is off.

I hope I haven't left anything out at this point, if so fire a question back.
I will get some pics of the setup soon for you so it will help but I wanted to get the ball rolling first.

Cheers

rich

The flow rate is going to change with the solar operating regardless of how you run the plumbing. The system will have a higher total dynamic head with the solar than without, which means the flow rate will change. You can minimize the change at the injector by either injecting before splitting off the solar or after merging the solar and regular returns back together, but there will still be some change in flow rate.

Here is the plumbing. When solar is operating only 1.5 litre/min of gas is injected compared to 4.5 litre/min non solar.

I am going to add another return to the pool on the solar line as I think there is too much back pressure, if that won't increase the injection then I'll add a valve too force more water through the injector.

Attachments

• RIMG0052.JPG
    RIMG0052.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 130
If I follow you plumbing correctly, you already have a Jandy valve that can adjust the water flow through the injector.

The solar return appears to split off before the injector. If so, it won't be easy to get the injection rate to be the same when the solar is on.

The black injector is fine, the red injector needs the attention, The valve needs to be after the tee where the 3/4" hose comes off, then more water can be directed into the injector before heading off to the roof.
The injector is situated before and after the solar if that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.