Baking Soda...;Disinfectant?

G

I know this increases TA and slightly the PH as well ,but "is a natural disinfectant and discourages mold/bacteria growth" is an excerpt from an article I read about baking soda. How can bicarbonates react with organic compounds?

This article gives more info on that. It mostly has to do with the relatively high concentrations that are involved. If the bicarbonate level is very high, then the buffering action on pH is so strong that I suspect it interferes with chemical processes in the cell that may depend on localized variation of pH, but that's just a guess on my part. It could just be the overall high concentrations causing side effects such as high ionic strength that shift many chemical equilibria. As the article points out, vinegar and baking soda should not be considered as disinfectants. Vinegar and baking soda together make carbon dioxide bubbles so can be used as a physical cleaner of sorts (probably not that effective though). I do know (from experience) that putting some baking soda in a burnt pan with a little water and then boiling it does seem to help remove the burnt material a little more easily. Could just be the higher pH that helps break down the organic stickiness (lye would do the same thing, but would be too strong -- remember that Drano is mostly lye).

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.