Made some changes and now the pressure is up!

adl6009

Mar 19, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hi, I just installed a new Rheem gas heater to replace my old heat pump, and a new whisperflo pump. The other major difference is before I had piped the system with the flexible piping so there were no 90 degree turns, now there are several elbows and hard pvc piping. Thing is the pressure gauge on the filter reads much higher than before. Used to be after a new load of DE the gauge would read 15 lbs and I would backwash at between 25 and 30 lbs pressure. Now on start up the gauge is reading about 24 lbs. Is this going to be my new normal reading? Will I now wait to 40 lbs to backwash? Or is there something wrong? I did backwash once already and the reading stayed the same at 24 lbs. What do you think? Thanks.

That is your new normal reading. The heater may have added more head loss and the new pump may be more powerful.

You should always clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Before you were waiting WAY too long. Now you should clean it around 30psi.

Also you should disassemble the filter for a good cleaning yearly at the minimum: DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.