Leaving cover on during startup (opening)

mkmscr

Mar 1, 2013
Charlotte, USA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Every year I get pool fever around this time to open so I can get things balanced before the warm weather really hits. However, I have one tree that spins off tons of helicopter leaves in the coming weeks. Clogging the skimmers. Temperatures are rising fast and I am concerned (like I am every year) if I don't get chlorine flowing that algae could set in. So I am thinking, can I leave the pool cover on while I run the filter to keep the helicopters out of my skimmers without any adverse issues? I am thinking I will clean, shock and install my pump, filter SWG etc.. place the cover back on for a week or two until the helicopters pass then uncover it for the season. Of course I will check it daily for chem levels but at least keep the helicopters out of my skimmers while I am at work so they don't strain my pump. Thoughts?

It's totally a good option. I have thought about it as well, but I try to get as much sun on the pool as soon as I can to help it warm up for the season. It's a great idea and others do it as well to get it open but not worry as much about debris in pool and FC demand stays low due to much less loss to sun exposure.

I have the same helicopter problem as you and always leave the cover on until they fall from the trees. I also climb up on the roof with my leaf blower and blow off the roof. If I don't they end up in the pool. Those things are a pain. My pump runs a month before I pull the cover. My water now is still in the low 50's , air temp at night 50.

Sorry for the confusion, using the word shock in terms of a higher percentage of sodium hypochlorite, not in the sense that I have algae or any other visible issues. I will test the FC before I actually add the pool shock. I just bought shock this year because it was on sale and cheaper than buying 8.75% bleach at Walmart (which is what I normally do). Honestly I am not really shocking versus bringing my FC levels up to par so my SWG can take over and maintain. It was also easier to buy a couple bottles and carry home "pool shock" which is 12.5% sodium hypochlorite versus the case of bleach I'd buy...lol. Being cheap and lazy I guess. I use a Taylor 2006 FAS DPD test kit and sometimes I've seen the readings swing around some when the water is cooler. Not sure if FC is bothered by cooler water temps. Nobody is swimming in this pool for another month because it is too cold.

can I leave the pool cover on while I run the filter to keep the helicopters out of my skimmers without any adverse issues?
Sort of, yes.

Pools like to breathe. Particularly during times of high chlorination, some sunlight assists your pool in getting rid of CC's and is generally a good thing for your pool.

Like anything, moderation is the key. Covereing up 24/7 for a month would not be a good idea. Allowing your pool to "breathe out" from time to time will be helpful in assuring you open to a really clear pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.