Using Pucks with low to zero cya in the pool.

May 24, 2011
Toronto
When you have low to none CYA and you use pucks is the chlorine bound to the CYA from the pucks themselves. Is the chlorine dispensed already stabilize or will the sun burn it off until the overall CYA level is increased?

The later. The FC and CYA enter the pool just like if you were adding them separately.

This is why we usually recommend adding some CYA right away and not wait for the tablets to build the level up from 0.

The later. The FC and CYA enter the pool just like if you were adding them separately.

This is why we usually recommend adding some CYA right away and not wait for the tablets to build the level up from 0.

Thank you. I tested the water when I first uncovered the pool at a temperature of 50 f and it read 0 CYA. After running a few days with the puck dispenser on full (Hayward offline) I noticed no big loss of FC and that got me wondering. I just tested the CYA again now that the temperature is close to 80 and it shows about 30-40 so I'm good I think. The pool is 80000 liters and gets at least a 50% change every season as I have a safety cover and rain and snow fills it to the brim every winter. I'll switch to Cal-Hypo and Liquid once the dispenser has exhausted the pucks I put in.

UH-OH. lol

I tested for CYA 6 weeks ago when my water temp was 55 and it must have been near zero. I let the test water warm up. I took the lazy route but it's been working good. If my math is correct, I should be at around 30 PPM CYA after using 10 pucks with no additional separate CYA added. I've realized that my FC level is staying higher( 5 PPM 2 days ago) as the CYA level builds. I keep the floater full, adding pucks as needed with the same pump run-time ( 3 hours per day ). Tomorrow I will be testing CYA for the second time and then I'll probably continue to use pucks until my CYA hits at least 60 PPM.

Thank you. I tested the water when I first uncovered the pool at a temperature of 50 f and it read 0 CYA. After running a few days with the puck dispenser on full (Hayward offline) I noticed no big loss of FC and that got me wondering. I just tested the CYA again now that the temperature is close to 80 and it shows about 30-40 so I'm good I think. The pool is 80000 liters and gets at least a 50% change every season as I have a safety cover and rain and snow fills it to the brim every winter. I'll switch to Cal-Hypo and Liquid once the dispenser has exhausted the pucks I put in.

If you do use Cal Hypo, keep an eye on your CH test. Even with a vinyl lined pool, calcium scaling can be a mess, and also affects your equipment, including your heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.