Can't Open Waste

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
My filter is a Pentair SMBW 2048 and I'm trying to backwash, but I can't get the handle of the rotary valve to move at all. I even put a small length of pipe on the handle to get more leverage and it still won't budge. Is there some trick to moving the lever that I might not know? I checked the manual, but it just says to move the lever and doesn't mention any tricks.

This thing is just a metal lever that sticks out from the bottom of the filter. All you can do is move it back and forth between waste and pool. I suspect it hasn't been cleaned in so long that it's jammed inside. The pump basket was so crammed with leaves and debris that is was like a solid chunk when I took it out.

The sad part is that the previous owner was a really old man who reported having a pool boy. It's clear to me that this pool boy never performed any maintenance on the filter, the pump, or the pool. The skimmer didn't even have a basket in it and the weir is missing. By some freak miracle the water parameters are almost perfect for TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.