Mixed Messages from Pool Store: What do I do next?

esuohe

May 4, 2015
Carignan
Long time reader, first time poster. So far, I've been absorbing as much as possible from the threads (awesome) but ever since my visit to the local pool store, my heads been a bit spinny (not so great).

First time opening a swimming pool, let alone attempting to SLAM one. Now, before I proceed with the rest of the steps generated by the water testing machine/application at the store I was hoping to get some clarity from The Experts here :)
1) My pool readings this morning were the following: pH: high, or ~8.0, FC: 0, TA: 180, STAB: 50
2) I have yet to power ON my SWG, but my water is clear, and my pump has been on non-stop for the past 96 hours/4 days.
3) I started with a standard "Winter Kit" that I bought from said store... This included algaecide, a "Metaloc" product, and some what I would assume to be pouches of chlorine?
4) Last night, I distributed about 5kg of baking soda (or "ALCA" which is what the shop brands it as), since my alkalinity level was low, according to the machine. it was at 39, and appears to now be around 180.
5) Last night, I dispersed 1.5 cups of "pH Minus", or what I now assume to be muriatic acid. pH last night was 7.9, and still appears to be around that.

It was at that point that I decided to take a step back and re-read some of the things I had caught here on TFP, which made me then question the recommended next steps.
At this point, my next "steps to follow" are basically
1) Add 140mL of a "metals reducer" to decrease my iron levels (Metaloc)
2) Add something called "ALUN-ALUM"
3) Add 15kg of calcium, because my calcium hardness is low (46 ppm)
4) Add more stabilizer, because my stab levels WERE low (4 ppm) but now appear to be HIGH (~50 ppm)
5) FINALLY, only once I am done all this, i am then instructed to start up my SWG (and I would assume, to start pouring my bags of pool salt in as well...)

So, my pool shop computer-generated and shopping-carted me with the above, but my TFP mindset is telling me to just vacuum and start chlorinating with my SWG/bags of salt, AND some liquid bleach that I have available...

My pool has cleared up almost completely from the greenish hue it was from the beginning. I've been brushing it daily, and will finally get a chance to vacuum the sediment at the bottom (a result of a floc product that was also added).

My head is about to explode, and my hands are trembling with anxiety; I want to get this right! I don't mind the testing + testing + adjust + test more approach, but what am I to do? Do I complete the game plan from the pool shop, or do I head straight to SWG once I pass the "overnight" test?

Last edited:
Right now I would say follow your gut and not add all their "stuff". Get a quality test kit, TF100 and lets see what is really going on. I don't trust any o their testing.

Please update your city to include a state or province because I don't know if you are in north Canada or south Texas and advice given may depend on your climate. Thanks

Before attempting to vacuum up that floc, do you have an old, spare cartridge for your filter? The floc will gum up a cartridge filter and it will be difficult if not impossible to clean. You can remove the cartridge and vacuum to waste by allowing the water to overflow out the top of the empty filter, but it will make a huge mess. You may also see if you can connect a backwash hose to the drain of the filter and vacuum to waste with the cartridge removed. That way you can control where the mess goes.

Thanks! Ordering a real test kit now. I'm in Canada ��, actually.
well, that does change things because due to licensing issues with the Taylor chemicals TF Testkits can't ship to Canada. There is one company that has the Canadian market for test kits locked up and they charge a lot for them. You will be looking for,a Taylor K2006 kit.

First off welcome, and we will do all we can to get your situation sorted out, and secondly I am sorry to say, but it sounds like you were well on your way to a classic case of being pool stored. I do have one question about an item they had on your shopping list, the metal reducer, does your pool have a history of problems with metals, was this based on testing high levels of metals, or was this just something they added on to make an extra $20-$30?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.