GFCI at main breaker box or at subpanel

Feb 25, 2015
Davis, CA
Hello Everyone,

As part of my pool remodel, I am automating the pool with a Jandy Aqualink RS6 PS. The Aqualink will be located in a Jandy Power Center sub-panel (6614). The pool automation will control two pumps, pool lights, landscape lighting, and possible two outlets. There are two ways I can GFCI the devices attached to the Power Center.

1. Put a 50A dual pole 240V GFCI breaker in the main panel, and then run power to the Power Center. That means that everything in the subpanel will be GFCI. This is the least expensive way. However, troubleshooting ground fault will be more difficult.

2. Put a 50A dual pole 240V non-GFCI breaker in the main panel. Then in the sub panel, use GFCI breakers for the equipment. This more expensive than the first option. But since each breaker is it's on GFCI, trouble shooting problems may be easier.

Based on those two options, which one would be a better option?

Thanks
Minh

I would go with the GFCI in the main panel option, that way you are protecting the sub panel feeder line too. Troubleshooting will be no more difficult as each component could be isolated by will its own breaker in the sub panel.

I have been debating this same thing... My electrician and the pump and intermatic manual said to only put 1 device on its own GFCI circuit... something about the pump being sensitive to other equipment and the GFCI trips....

Hopefully an electrician on here can say for sure....

A 240 GFI at the main will most likely trip due to both 240 volt and 120 volt loads. If you are running, say, a 240 volt pump and another120 volt load. the main will trip due to the 240 volt side will monitor the current between the two hots and the 120 volt load will go out on one hot and come back on the neutral. This will show up as an imbalance and cause the trip

Pool & Spa electrical connections are covered under Section 680 of the National Electrical Code

https://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/NEC-HTML/HTML/SwimmingPoolInstallations~20021227.htm

I know it requires the individual branch circuit for underwater lights to be GFCI protected, so if you have an underwater light which is supplied power from the sub-panel it will have to have a GFCI in the sub-panel. As a GFCI supplying power to another GFCI isn't proper, this means all GFCI would be in the sub.

Electricians who don't deal with pools and spas regularly will probably scratch their heads.....

When dealing with issues that are potentially life threatening I am always willing to pay an expert.

Thanks Everyone. I talked to the electrician/plumber from the pool builder, and he recommends that I run a 50A from the main breaker panel to the sub panel. Then in the subpanel, I will have a GFCI breaker to the pool light. However, he recommends that the pump not be on GFCI since he said he seen a few variable speed pumps trip GFCI. He said it's not always the case, but he's seen quite a few.

So based on what I hear, I am going to with a a non-GFCI from the main breaker panel to the subpanel.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Minh

I decided to put a non-GFI breaker from the main breaker panel to the subpanel. And then every cirucit in the subpanel will be on a GFCI. This will isolate any issues that occurs. It's more expensive, but the safety factor makes it worthwhile. Also - since the pump is installed by the pool builder, so any problem will be covered by the pool builder and warranty. :)

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Smart move! You can never be too safe with electricity whether or not it is around a pool.

I decided to put a non-GFI breaker from the main breaker panel to the subpanel. And then every cirucit in the subpanel will be on a GFCI. This will isolate any issues that occurs. It's more expensive, but the safety factor makes it worthwhile. Also - since the pump is installed by the pool builder, so any problem will be covered by the pool builder and warranty. :)

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.