Pool Re-pump, re-filter, re-plumb

May 7, 2015
Fort Myers, FL
Hi, I am new here looking for assistance/ ideas for a re-plumb project. Currently we have a relatively new Pentair Easy Touch SWG system with IntellipH and a new AquaCal heat pump, but we have that connected to 2 old 1.5 hp whisper pumps and a very old CC150 filter that is worn to bare fiberglass and annoying. I want to replace both pumps with a single 3hp Intelliflo for energy savings and I am considering a sand filter with cellulose added or a Quad DE for filtration in place of the old CC150. Water quality is good and easy to keep balanced.

Attached are my diagrams of what I have today and what I hope to replumb to.
Before:

After:

There is a also a blower for the spa that is not shown.

A couple of questions:
1) Do I need to worry about balancing the drains and skimmer with valves? The ball valves that are there now are UV deteriorated and probably wouldn't function anyway. If I need to do this, I will use Jandy. Frankly it seems like I have too many feeds as it is. The wall drains were added to support the waterfall loop it appears to me. It's 2 drains in the wall going to the pump in 3" pvc. That with pool drain and skimmer is 2 - 2" and 1- 3" suction line. Ignoring the vacuum suction line.

2) Is there any reason to not filter the waterfall? We don't need that much flow and our desire for reduced energy consumption will have me running the pump on lower rpms anyway. If I branch the waterfall off early, it won't hit the SWG which is kind of important for this new config. The waterfalls tend to grow algae if not run enough. I prefer to filter and SWG the waterfalls as shown in the after but I am open to suggestions.

3) Am I crazy for considering a new filter? The cc150 works but is very worn. If i keep it, it is getting a new paint job and needs a new cartridge. I like the idea of a sand filter with zeo media and cellulose as a topper. Kind of the best of low maintenance and filtration. Would I be better off with a new bigger cart filter or DE? We have a pool cage so not an incredibly dirty pool.

4) How do i improve surface cleaning given my setup? That's really the only pace we have visible particles. Floaters.

5) My backflow valves need replacing, where should they go other than the spa and waterfall feeds due to elevation change? Are they necessary at all if I don't mind water finding level?

Later changes will include LED lights and possibly an auto vacuum.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate any feedback you have.

1 and 4 are intertwined. The reason for having a valve to control flow between main drain and skimmers is to be able to route more suction to the skimmers for better skimming action. I would valve all of your suction lines for total control of where water comes from.

I would prefer not to have check valves on the waterfall line. No reason to hold that water in the waterfall pipe, let it flow back to the pool.

My set up is similar to what you are trying to accomplish. Except you have the spa and the additional wall drains. My equip pad has a feed for main drain and feed for skimmers with a valve between them to adjust the mix, single pipe to pump, to filter, to solar panels/bypass valve, to SWCG and output to valve that controls water flow to pool returns or waterfall. Same pump also.

No comments on the filter. Total personal choice, they all work fine, each with their own pros and cons.

Thanks for the reply pooldv. I agree with the flow control and will invest in Jandy valves for all of those return lines. The waterfalls and pool will never run together so I won't need to automate any of the feeds. I took a look at your build thread and noticed you have no check valves and I agree, I don't really see a reason to do so since our plumbing is above the pool waterline. Even the spa will never be left hot and off so any mixing there is ok by me. That's the only time a check valve would help. Otherwise it just adds to the head calcs, I think.

Here is a picture of the pool. The waterfall on the left is over 6' off the water. It's pretty impressive but adds a lot to water loss due to evaporation and splash. The two smaller waterfalls on the right with the splash pool are where growth can be a problem and why I want to have the SWG in that loop this time.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Thanks again for all your help. I ended up getting a Clean and Clear 420 for cheap to go with the Intelliflo. Attached are two new designs that I think capture what I want to do in two slightly different ways. I have plenty of valves to accomplish either design or even make some recommended changes if anyone sees a better way to accomplish this.

The first design leverages that the pool will be in pool return mode 95% of the time and hopefully creates a very efficient flow for low rpm usage. It assumes that for the waterfall usage 30 mins once a day, I will bump up the rpms on the intelliflo and simply add the waterfall returns to the existing load.

The second design is more flexible in that it would allow me to simply switch from pool returns (100/0) to waterfall returns (0/100) and not have to turn the pump up. Alternatively I could run the valve 50/50 and increase the rpms like design 1 to have all 4 returns running.

I think either will work fine, the first design leverages the fact that the pool runs in pool or spa mode most of the time but does not allow the flexibility of running the waterfalls alone. I can't think of a time that would ever be necessary.

The only other thing I need to figure out is the heater bypass. I am uncertain if Heat Pump mode can actuate a valve on the Easy Touch. Either way, I want the bypass and will make it manual if need be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.