Just about ready... Borates or not?

Apr 20, 2015
Mishawaka, IN
Thanks to a really warm week, we're just about ready for the first dip in our recently rehabbed pool. Did an OCLT last night/this morning and it was < .5 - yay! pH was perfect and TA is still higher than desired, so I'm going to slowly work that down over the summer with aeration and muriatic acid. The first round of MA just went in today and dropped pH right down to where I targeted.

This evening's test:
FC: 7
pH: 7.2
CC: .5
CYA: 50
TA: 140
CH: 225

I think rather than burn pump time to aerate and get that pH back up, I'd like to go ahead and add-in the right amount of borax - is there ANY reason not to from a chemical standpoint? I do have two large dogs that will be swimming it frequently, but I've done the homework on that already and understand the risks.

Still loving how EASY TFPC is... I was expecting a lot more work as a first-time pool owner!

Your pH level is fine. Leave it. It will come up on its own.

For future reference, using a little borax to raise the pH is NOT the same as "adding borates" which requires many many boxes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.