taylor prof kit

MEvan

In The Industry
Jul 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I was wondering what you guys think of the taylor profesional kit. Is it any more capible or accurate than the TF 100? Any faster? heres a link to it: http://www.poolcenter.com/taylor_test_kits.htm thanks for any comments. I am loking to use this in a proffesional capacity. I usually just run my watr samples through our lamotte system but that means I have already left the pool and cant add chemicals from these results until I have a chance to swing back.

The liquid slide comparators are better than the plastic ones but the only test this will affect is the pH test. The TF100 and Taylor K-2006 use the FAS-DPD chlorine test, which is a titration (drop count) test and not a colormetric one and it is much wider range (up to 50 ppm FC) than the DPD test, which will bleach out above 10 ppm. It is also more accurate than even the glass slide comparator so the TF100 or K-2006 are superior for the chlorine testing The other basic tests (TA, CH ) are titrations so they are the same in all the kits. the CYA test is a turbidity test so, once again, it will be the same in all the kits and does not use a comparator. The professional kit also includes acid and base demand (not that useful in most circumstances but if you really need them then get a K-2006 since it contains these tests) and iron and copper tests. If you need the accuracy then the glass slide comparators are better than plastic or paper ones for iron and copper but these two tests are available separately if you need them. My suggestion would be to get a TF00 (which includes an OTO test, useful at times) or, if you really need the acid and base demand tests get a Taylor K-2006. If you need iron and copper tests get the separate kit from Taylor that includes both those tests.

Just my $.02

I'm going to be buying one of the TF 100 kits before next season - it's a GREAT kit!

But I also like having the acid/ base demand tests from the Taylor 2005 - 6 (but I've used that kit for years and know how to interpret the results to accurately dose a pool) - when you're in the industry it's a helpful test - I doubt that homeowners need the demand pH tests. I know that having multiple call backs to adjust water chemistry is expensive for the customer and takes up time that you could use servicing other pools - the pH demand tests can minimize the call backs.

I agree that someone in the industry would find the acid and base demand tests useful if they are used properly. The TAylor acid/ base demand tests are much easier to use than the LaMotte ones if you are using a LaMotte system that uses UDVs, btw.

thanks for the input. I have never used an acid or base demand test but it sseems it would be useful. Are the directions comprehensive and accurate? Or will I have to learn how much less to add of one or more of another than the test says? I have found myself having to sue less ALK than the Lamotte calls for.

waste said:
:bump:

It's been a while, but the pH demand tests don't take into account the TA and the effect that adding acid or soda ash will have.
The acid/base demand tests in the Taylor kit do correctly determine how much acid or base needs to be added and do so regardless of the TA level. The problem is that such demand tests use reagents that are too strong so they are only good for determining chemical additions for large pH moves or for smaller moves when the TA is very high. The tests basically just add real acid or base and see the effect on pH. You are right that the test does not work perfectly if the base one uses is soda ash and the amount added is large enough to increase the TA substantially.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.