My user name says it all!

DontFillitin

Platinum Supporter
May 7, 2015
Birmingham/AL
I have been reading this forum for a week after google introduced us. I have read "pool School" a couple of times in the time since I first visited. My family and I have just moved into a home with a 25,000 gal inground chlorine pool. Upon removing the cover, not knowing anything about a pool, I commenced to pulling 20 trees out of it (sarcasm) and dealing with the swamp. In 12 days, I have used 35# of shock, two different algaecides, and 4 bottles of floc. While it is now lime green as opposed to deep forest green, my little girl's birthday party is Saturday, and It looks as if no end is in sight. I told my wife today that we need to get a TF-100 test kit after reading (over and over) on this site to not rely on the pool store, which i am finding is one of my many many mistakes. Im not asking for any advice right now, because I know the resounding reply will be "what are your test results?". SO, with that said, I just wanted to thank you all for the info I have gotten so far, I will keep trying to understand pool chemistry 101, and I will report back ASAP with my test results in hope of being able to swim (in clear water) before MY birthday at the end of this month!:-o

I'm so sorry your little girl will not have a pool for her birthday, but it's great you understand what's going on. Keep pulling as much stuff out of the pool as you can.

We would recommend discontinuing the use of algecides, floc and shock and stick with liquid chlorine.

Check out SLAMing your pool in Pool School because that is what you will be doing when you get everything ready.

I think the leaves (and Hickory nuts) are out now. I havent gotten any more algaecides since I noticed it is a waste. I drove (30 miles) home on my lunch break today and dumped bleach in it. I have been reading and reading, but honestly don't understand it all. I hope to understand more clearly soon. I have spent way too much $$$ on chemicals. A dump truck would have been so much cheaper!

Alright, that is a good goal! Welcome to TFP! Great first post. You'll be posting a success story soon enough!

Here is info on updating your sig, here.

Here are some pointers to some Pool School articles that are sometimes extra helpful for newbies.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool, after SLAM.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool, after SLAM.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add

And in case you missed it here is an article about SLAMing Your Pool

You've been playing this game at the pool store, huh?

attachment.php

Welcome! Definitely loose all the shock, floc and algaecide you have been using. But a TF 100 With a speed stir upgrade to XL. Read through the SLAM process in pool school and we will be here to guide you through everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add stock up on some bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, "pool store" tests from yesterday. TA 0
PH 6.3
Stabilizer (is this CYA?) 97
Chlorine 3.7
that is all they gave us. Wife said he told her there is iron, but didn't say how much, or how to get it out.... I can't figure out how to post pics with tapatalk. I'm really ready to give up. I have no idea what to do here.

That is a lovely shade of green, but we can help you get it to a lovely sparkling crystal blue. It will take time and patience.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanted to add that my SLAM process is linked in my signature along with a recommended test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.