Fresh Fill

Feb 24, 2015
Eugene, OR
I'm going to be filling my pool for the first time this weekend. I've read though everything but I just have a few questions.
Also can you make sure my steps are right:
Once Filled I will test the PH and make sure thats good to go (I tested the tap and its 7.5)
Put CYA (according to Pool Calc) in a sock in front of the return untill desolved and test after a week.

Now how much bleach to I put in off the getgo?
Also I will be gone for 3 days coming up, What do I do in that time frame away from the pool.

Thanks for your help and this wonderful forum.

Add about 2ppm of FC right off the bat.
Once the CYA is starting to dissolve, then maintain the FC based on your target CYA level.

If you have a floater with some tablets, a 3 day hiatus would be a good time to float them to add CYA and FC.
Otherwise, raise the FC to shock level and cover the pool.

Getting Closer, got the pump plumbed to the filter. Liner going in tomorrow.
ZPzpqWY.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats on the new pool! Should be a great summer!

Chlorine should never be allowed to drop below the minimum FC level for your CYA level or algae will start to grow. Even on day 1. As Jason said above add 2ppm FC right off the bat. Did you add the 30 ppm CYA yet? The Chlorine CYA Chart shows that the minimum FC level for 30ppm CYA is 2ppm and the target is 4. So, add enough FC daily to bring FC to 4ppm. If you are unable to test or add for a few days then you can target 10-12ppm to hold you over a few days. Keep your FC above 2 and you will never have to worry about SLAMing your pool.

Not sure how much pool school you have read, here are a few of the basics.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool.
And use PoolMath to determine how much to add.

Thanks fo the reply. I understand most of everything just wasn't sure on what to do with the fresh fill. I will be adding the cya tomorrow once it's full enough to run the pump. I added just over 2 cups of bleach and will add more tomorrow to get it to 4.

Liner installed! CYA is all dissolved and bleach is being added each day. I'm going to test everything again today but I think my PH and TA are low but I will ask for help once I test again. Last time I tested it was still filling.

Here are some photos of the install and fill :cool:

hn8arx3.jpg

AtWMWDk.jpg

GUQg5oS.jpg

TDSGKNo.jpg

IYogWzw.jpg

xa7VrQo.jpg

RYZaA2b.jpg

You know, I was about to crack the joke about you need to put some water in there when I realized there was only a little water in there.

Stick with our methods and you'll understand. Your pool water can be so clear that when the pump is off and the surface is calm, you'll do a doubletake some day thinking all the water leaked out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.