liner was replaced 5/4/15
finished filling 5/5
tests:ph-7.5
cl-0
ta-140
ch-125
cya-0
temp-50*
pool was slightly green added 7.5 lbs of stabilizer in pantyhose in front of skimmer milking frequently
5/6
1:30pm tests-cya:50ppm
ph:7.2
chl:0
2:00pm added recommended dose of cal-hypo 65% to reach 20ppm. used cal-hypo because honestly all those bottles of chlorine didn't seem fun ...lol. and I could with a low ch, right? plan to use bleach once so much isn't neededor get too high with ch(cl/cya chart and pool calculator)
3:45pm- FC:27ppm
CC:0
7:45pm- CHL:24ppm
5/7/15
6:20am - FC:19.5ppm added 24oz cal-hypo
12:45pm- FC:23ppm
and so I think im doing well but would like conformation from the pros. theres still little water bugs swimming around and I would have thought the slam level would have killed them already. could my cya be too high and chlorine not working well enough or does it just take a while? pool water seems to be clearing so im not quite sure. I would appreciate any advice and or instruction on mistakes you guys may see in my method so far,

Give it time, and keep the FC 20-25 and eventually they will likely die. I say that range so you minimize dropping below SLAM value between test and addition times. Stay with it and it will come around.

great! thanks guys. yes Patrick, im trying to keep it a little high as I don't get to check and adjust as much as I should probably but I don't seem to be losing it very fast so hopefully I can keep it up. feel a little more confident now... thanks. I will keep posting my progress and if anyone sees any mistakes please feel free to line me out.
thanks again.

It was pretty dark Patrick. which surprised me considering it was fresh water. (city water supply)

It's still pretty cloudy but the green tint is gone and I can barely make out the bottom of shallow end. will look into posting pics when I get a chance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh Ok. You say dark, but surprised with City water. How long did it take after filling to get that way? It shouldn't have been dark green upon fill...

All forms of Chlorine add a little Salt. No need to test for salt unless you have a SWG. (Salt Water Generator)

Hey, no problem, we can fix that. I was slightly worried it was something else. Good deal. SLAM works, you'll see. Its just very important not to let your FC slip below value any longer than you can help it.

I meant to mention this earlier but I've back washed twice since I started the process and both times the water in sight glass started dark brown almost reddish. Eventually cleared then of course I rinsed for a bit but was surprised by the color because it was nowhere in the pool. Maybe from the filter sitting without circulation for those few days allowed algae to grow in it?

Patrick_B said:
Today 06:29 PM
Re: SLAMing and waterbugs
Hey, no problem, we can fix that. I was slightly worried it was something else. Good deal. SLAM works, you'll see. Its just very important not to let your FC slip below value any longer than you can help it.

Going to give it my best shot Patrick. Wife is trying to help while I'm at work but she'll be the first to admit it's not something she's too hip on. I've been reading this site now for a while even before I joined and am more than confident that with what I've learned and the help that is so freely given here it'll be the best it's ever been.(I never really applied myself to it thinking the pool stores had it all figured out for me. it was never really right, always on the verge of going green and chasing this or that test reading. Only took me 5 years and loads of $$$ to learn better, I can be a little slow sometimes) Truly a good thing you guys are doing here. It's appreciated.

Hey, no worries, and we are glad to have you with us. Thanks for the kind words about the forum. It's going to be an eye opener, and a new way for you now. You really will be amazed how easy it becomes. There won't be any more guessing, or wondering if the pool is going to be ok. Never too late, and seeing people get some knowledge and control of their pool is what keeps us coming back. There really isn't any mystery to pool care, and I love helping people find that out for themselves. If we can help her through this when you can't be there, she's welcome to come on, and we'll walk her through if she needs it.

On the filter, not sure. That had to come from somewhere, but Algae won't grow inside it. See if it happens again, but no worries about it for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.