New Pool Owner looking for some help

Dec 24, 2014
Temecula, Ca
So we have had water in our pool for almost a month now. Im just starting to get the hang of the tests and have a few questions. We have a 46x23 outdoor in ground pool, pebble finish, it is a salt pool with a swcg, about 32500 gallons to my best calculations now.

So the pool builder did the initial start up and I've been monitoring it with the basic daily checks up to this point. He has only added the initial chlorine to get the salt cell on at the appropriate chlorine levels, about a gallon size bucket of stabilizer, and Muriatic Acid to keep the PH in check.

Using their basic kit chlorine has been at 1.0-2.0 since fill and Ph around 7.6-7.8 since fill and Total Alkalinity at 140 since fill. The TA doesn't seem to be coming down at all with the daily chems. Anyhow now I finally have control of the chems. Water is clear and looking good and were throughly enjoying it with out any irritation.

The only conflicting info I have come across is they SWCG calls for a CYA of 10-50, and a chlorine level of 1.0-3.0. Those are obviously not the same as anything I've read on here, the swcg manual says damage to the "pool metals" can occur at higher Chlorine and CYA levels. Makes no sense to me? Can the FC still be up higher to my target 5.0, I know I need to get my Cya up to reach that fc level? With a FC of 5 and Cya of 70 can the daily chlorine test could still show near that 1.0 to 3.0 range?

All the different test names really confuse me, the FAS-DPD OTO Etc. With the tf100 kit I know I am hitting all the things i need to know and the truly accurate FC and CC and TC, CYA, CH, TA. Are the daily chlorine tests just to see the presence of chlorine? The PH daily test makes perfect sense and the pool math page has been super helpful!

So heres my results today with the tf100

Fc- 2.5

Cc- 0

Tc- 2.5

CH- 260ish

TA-140

CYA- 20 to 25 Do I need to swirl while doing the test?

My goal would be to adjust the following:

FC to 5

CYA to 70

TA down to 60

Plan for the FC and CYA is to add stabilizer and the appropriate amount of Chlorine per pool math? Cya first then Chlorine a day or so later? Sound good?

Plan for the TA is to drop the ph with acid to 7.2 and then aerate to get the ph back up? Sound good?

Is there any specific order I should do those in? Do I need to worry about adjusting the TA or will it come down in time as its a new pool?

I can tell the salt cell is maintaining the FC fairly well but I'm not to sure it is going to raise those levels without running it for along time at 100%.

I know that was a lot, hopefully this will help me understand everything fully.

Thanks!

Justin

I guess also would there be any issue running to CYA at 50 and FC at 3 to meet the salt cells guidelines for warranty? With the levels we are at now everything appears to be going well, we even had a party for our son with probably 20 people or so hitting the pool that day no issues after the fact

With fresh plaster and California water, you'll be fighting TA and pH rise all season. It wouldn't surprise me if you need to add acid every day for a while.

If you add the CYA, you'll lose less FC to the sun as it dissolves and mixes, so whatever the SWG is putting out will last longer and the FC should come up. It wouldn't hurt to supplement the SWG with some bleach for a day or two.

You have the test kit and it seems you've been reading. A few days more practice with testing and dosing and seeing the results and something will click and it will be a piece of cake. Daily pool maintenance will be as routine and difficult and time-consuming as brushing your teeth. Seriously.

Thanks to each of you! That helps a lot, ill shoot for the lower side of the swg recommendations here to keep it close to the recommendations of the manual. definetly having to add acid daily at this point to keep the ph in check. We have a whole house water softener so most of the water that filled the pool went through that, hopefully it helps some

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.