Correct Size Pump and Filter? / Considering New

vandan

Jul 8, 2012
Shavertown, PA
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I bought this house about 4 yrs ago. The pool has been here about 10 yrs from what iv'e heard. We have a problem with algae and debris due to a large tree that is next to the pool. In any case. Every year we open the pool it take weeks to clear up (scraping leaves off the bottom, shocking process, etc...). What we would like is to know is, if this filter and pump are the correct size for this pool. Being that it was all here when we bought the house, i never really though about it. Doesn't seem that it should take that long to clear up to me and it leaves lots of small particles in the water.

The pool is rectangle 16x32 - 4ft to 10ft - and im estimating about 24k gallons - The filter now is sand and we are consider a new DE or Cartridge filter for better filtration and perhaps a quicker turnover to clear it up faster.

Does this seem right for this size pool

you guys have been a great help in the past and any help would be greatly appreciated

Here are some photos -
Pump is 1HP - There is no gpm on sticker:
pump.jpg

filter.jpg

pool.jpg

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 39
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Filter sizing kind of depends on your location / swim season.

- - - Updated - - -

That is just a picture of the motor ... what PUMP do you have?

- - - Updated - - -

Filter types are personal preference and all have pluses and minuses: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison

Sorry about the signature and details, I did best i could on them , here is a photo of the pump:

I am in North Eastern Pennsylvania, our swim season is about 3 to 4 months out of the year. Another reason we would like it to clear faster.
It says Hayward SP2607X10, Motor is 1HP

pump1.jpg

That pump is fine, an upgrade to a 2-speed motor is something to keep in mind when that motor dies.

With your short season, your 24" sand filter should be fine. For a cartridge, I would stay over 250 sqft.

The easiest way to shorten the opening procedure is by maintaining the chemistry properly, closing when the water is < 60 degrees and opening when the water is still < 60 degrees.

Your pool is bigger than mine and I have a 60sqft DE, but I am open year round. Likely a 48sqft would be enough.
You can go bigger on any of these and that will just mean you have to clean it less often, possibly only yearly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.