SOS - I am new please help - Green pool water

May 7, 2015
Houston Texas
I am new to TFP, my pool guy left so I have to take care the pool (fresh water) from now. I have read all the Pool School topics and have no clue what to do next

Here are the current reading from Taylor 2006 test kit (I got this kit yesterday)

PH: 7.4
TA: 130
FC: 11
CC: 0.4
CH: 420
CYA: >100. I guess 140

Pool is filtering and skimming for 4 days now but there is no improvement in water clarity, I can't see the bottom of the pool 3 - 5ft deepth and it is turning green/yellow
I just added last night 1 bottle of KEMTEK chlorinating liquid, 4 bags of hth shock and 5 chlorine tablets to the skimmer basket to keep algea returning. The DE filter has been cleaned 3 days ago
I have been fighting almost a week without any improvement. Can you please help

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, your FC level is too low for your CYA to eradicate the algae ... BUT ...
Your CYA is way too high ... and the bags of shock and the tablets are making it worse.
You need to replace at least 50% of your water and then stick to liquid chlorine and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

These are good reading too:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

I know you said you have read all of Pool School, but I think you should review these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Like Jason says those solid chlorine products are just driving your CYA higher and making the situation worse, it is almost impossible to clear up a green mess when your CYA level is over 100, and since there are no water restrictions I am aware of in Houston, and there is about 6 inches of rain in the forecast for next week, now is a good time to start draining and replacing water. We generally advise doing water replacement in steps draining 25-30% of the water at a time and refilling to minimize chances of damage to your pool, as pools can float out of the ground if drained in locations with a high water table, or vinyl liners can lift and wrinkle is you don't keep at least 6-8 inches of water on them at all times.

Ike

p.s. please also list your pool type and equipment in your signature so we can know what you have at a glance

Thanks so much for your quick response Jblizzle
I am re_reading the Pool School, meanwhile should I keep the pump running ? is there any less expensive way instead of replacing 50% of the pool water ( it's 40000 gallons pool)
I appreciate all your inputs

nope, you are gonna have to drain and refill...but I would get a good reading on your CYA first. dilute the sample by 50% with tap water...then get result and double. test only goes up to 100, so need to find out exact number so you know how much to drain

Yes, high CYA is primarily caused by over use of dichlor and trichlor, so while they are more convenient to use, than liquid chlorine / bleach, they do come with this one BIG downside, so should generally be saved for times when you need to slightly adjust your CYA level (due to splash out / overflow), or when you need to be out of town and can't dose the pool daily with liquid chlorine products.

Ike

p.s. Since Houston tends to have fairly soft water, you may be able to use the solid (flake) form of chlorine call Cal-Hypo some of the time which raises both chlorine and calcium (CH), but again there you have to worry about your CH getting too high, so it is again another balancing act, so for now I would suggest keeping it simple and stick with liquid chlorine / bleach as your only source of chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.