Winter Cover for Above Ground Pool surrounded by deck

May 7, 2015
Sagamore Hills, OH
Long time reader first time poster. first I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help and all the sticky posts. They have been a great help to me in my 3 years as a pool owner.

My one huge issue is my winter cover. I have an above ground 17x32 Splash around pool. (The maker actually doesn't make them anymore I forget the actually manufacturer but this brand is exactly the same). Anyways, I decided to go all out and build a huge deck around the pool because this pool is ugly IMO. So, we left a small gap between the deck board and the pool upon construction and excavated almost enough for an in ground pool, my yard is hilly. So, my pool is completely surrounded and covered by the deck, my filter and pump is hidden on the accessible side under the deck which is visually nice but inconvenient and I can access 75% of the pool by climbing under the deck.

Now I am to my main problem. The crappy oversized tarp cover I got is obviously made to balloon around an above ground pool. It is impossible for me to do this on all sides of the pool. So I have had some ideas, all unsuccessful which has resulted with me starting each spring with a black lake and an angry wife. Super.

First year, no knowledge at all I laid the tarp on the deck, bought 20 80lb sand bags at a big box store and set them on the deck. I thought I was good, until the first wind storm and I then thought it was necessary to take a winter swim to pull out the bags that fell in. Lol 0/1

Second year I got smarter and pulled the cover between the gap and the pool and the deck and secured it to the steel beams on the side of the pool. Nothing laying on the deck. That worked for 75% of the pool but the part I couldn't access I put in eyelets on the underside of the deck and fastened the tarp in that spot. That didn't hold and small opening and lake in the spring. 0/2

This past year and now spring I went back to first year plan but prepared for a tornado. Laid down the tarp. Secured to post with wire and rope in various spots and bought water bags an used a combination of water bags and sand bags to put them end to end on the entire cover. Worked until a super windy day when the wind, which seems to circle on my elevated wind tunnel of a deck shot off a fence panel and launched some bags. Another thing to note is the deck surrounding the pool is 12 ft on one side, 6 on another and 2 on the other 2 sides. The 2 foot sides present a challenge for putting an fleeting bags there. Great. 0/3

So, this spring, minus the additional startup cleaning and time and chemicals and money to clean a lake to a pool I am already worried about the pool closing this year. Help!!! Pics attached.

My initial thought is I just get a heavy duty custom cover and secure it with tie downs and latches like an in ground. Can I screw latches into deck boards rather than concrete? Will that even work ?

http://imageshack.com/a/img905/3310/MUvShX.jpg

Welcome!

You covering up the pool for summer? :lol:

Seriously, I'm not sure the wood will hold up to the safety cover type for IG pools. There is a lot is stress on those things, and I'm pretty sure the boards would be too thin as well.

Welcome!

You covering up the pool for summer? :lol:

Seriously, I'm not sure the wood will hold up to the safety cover type for IG pools. There is a lot is stress on those things, and I'm pretty sure the boards would be too thin as well.

Thanks Patrick. Haha no, not covering for the summer but I feel like I already need to plan and scheme for next winter. I didn't think so either, my other thought was to put them on the fence posts or support beams for the deck. Those are 4x4s and probably strong enough but they aren't positioned perfectly for desired use. Also they would be slightly elevated which would defeat the purpose.

Whenever I have a problem that is unique I come to a forum or the beautiful Internet and low and behold a ton of other people have the same issue. I was hoping that would apply to this situation lol.

Hey Chuppa3,

I'm curious if you've found a good solution to the issue. We've got a pool with an aluminum deck and fence around it. Structurally it looks like the image attached. No luck in finding a cover that can accommodate the posts in the fencing around the deck. All the round pool covers are meant to come down over the outside and be cinched and we can't do that.

As to ways to fasten the covers, we've tried water weights, which work to hold down the cover as long as they don't break and the water leaks out. My wife wants to put bricks and rocks there, which I think is a baaaad idea. They're only going to scuff up the aluminum decking or fall in the water eventually.

We've also had issues finding a cover that will last for more than a year or two.

img_coliseum_01a.jpg

All suggestions welcome. :)

Hey Chuppa3,

I'm curious if you've found a good solution to the issue. We've got a pool with an aluminum deck and fence around it. Structurally it looks like the image attached. No luck in finding a cover that can accommodate the posts in the fencing around the deck. All the round pool covers are meant to come down over the outside and be cinched and we can't do that.

As to ways to fasten the covers, we've tried water weights, which work to hold down the cover as long as they don't break and the water leaks out. My wife wants to put bricks and rocks there, which I think is a baaaad idea. They're only going to scuff up the aluminum decking or fall in the water eventually.

We've also had issues finding a cover that will last for more than a year or two.

View attachment 42882

All suggestions welcome. :)

Hi Doug -
I was wondering if you found a good solution. We have a very similar pool/decking issue, and this is our first year winterizing the pool (just moved in May). I'd love to hear if you've had any good suggestions!
Thanks!

I run rope ( from the pool store ) thru the eyelets in the cover and tie to the deck support posts, below the deck. Use multiple ropes, go from end post thru eyes then back to next post. Do this until you get thru all eyes. Then put you weights, water bags on the cover. I have a side deck and this works well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.