Return valves

Jun 8, 2013
I think i need new return eyeball valves (adjustable ball socket ones for top water movement). I have 3 and the ball socket thing inside can pop out and float away. Not sure if this is by design to swap them out. I also noticed that the closest one to the pump is the strongest. Do they make a replacement that can adjust the flow so the last one (farthest one) can be the strongest to push the debris to the skimmer?

I see they sell the whole assembly do these simply unscrew? how do I know which size to get or are they all the same size.

thanks!

The eyeball fittings screw into the wall fitting. They are normally 1½" threaded fittings.

You can get different sized eyeballs to go in the fittings, so you could put a smaller one on the strongest and larger one on the weakest to help regulate the flow.

The eyeball fittings screw into the wall fitting. They are normally 1½" threaded fittings.

You can get different sized eyeballs to go in the fittings, so you could put a smaller one on the strongest and larger one on the weakest to help regulate the flow.

Wouldn't the smaller hole make it shoot stronger because the stream is smaller like a garden hose nozzle?

It would add restriction which would make more water go toward the further jets than have less restriction. Your hose analogy does not work because there is only 1 outlet in that case. You would need to have a Y at the hose bib with both hoses running and then restrict the size on one of the hoses.

What the smaller stream would do is restrict the volume of water allowed through the eyeball and therefore divert more water down the line to the other larger eyeballs.

While you might perceive more pressure out of the eyeball it's just because of the restricted opening.

Slit shoots water out in a vertical or horizontal fan and round shoots it out in a jet. I would think the round would be better for general circulation an slit would be better for a specific application that requires more sweeping water flow. I have all round, except for a flat one on the sun shelf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well they could be glued, but no idea why anyone would do that.

Can you post a picture of what you are dealing with?
You may need to hold the outside while trying to unscrew from the inside to avoid the entire thing twisting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.