PH level to make eyes sting less

Red Shirt Ensign

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2011
Hi All,
I keep seeing differing opinions when I searched on this, so I thought I would post for myself and continue the debate!

My Daughter keeps complaining that her eyes are stinging when opening them in the water.
Do I lower the PH towards 7.2, or bring it up towards 7.8 to make eyes sting less? My PH is right on 7.5

My TF-100 Tests last night after the swim
FC 3.0
PH is 7.5
TA 90
CH 230
CYA very little (Did not re-test though I added some last night finally)

Your thoughts!

Thanks Dan

With no Cya, 3 FC could contribute, but to further comment, I'd want to see the CC number. The pH of 7.5 should be perfect.

my CC number was 0 last night (Has occasionally been .5 since I opened, but in line with the normal testing goal guidelines)
I did add CYA last night so maybe that will help reduce the sting.

Even though "I" think 7.5 is great... if I wanted to adjust PH to reduce sting, would I go lower or higher than the 7.5?

avg. human tear is pH 7.0.... I'd wait and see what the CYA does, if it helps the sting or not. If not you could try 7.2-7.3 I wouldn't advise getting too carried away. (I suspect it's the lack of CYA)

I agree. The Cya will buffer the FC. The pH is not the problem IMO, and obviously not the CC here. I would guess it's the unbuffered chlorine in your case. Also, lots of swim time can mildly irritate anyone's eyes in perfect conditions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.