Air getting into pump / leak in plumbing from skimmer to pump

Apr 13, 2015
Atoka/TN
****** Trying to avoid digging up the pvc lines ************

I have what seems to be an air leak somewhere in the plumbing. When the return line is closed at the bottom of the skimmer (by screwing anti freeze "gizmo" in suction line) the pool will hold water indefinitely. However, if the pool is running, or suction line to pump is not closed off, I am loosing more than an inch a day. I feel certain there is a leak in the OLD plumbing underground between pool and pump. This has been an ongoing issue since I moved in the house 7 years ago. However, at the end of last season, the leak slowed to almost nothing. (I'm guessing something lodged in the hole and blocked any water from leaking)

I also have another problem of the pump not keeping its prime, air getting into the system somewhere. I have rebuilt the pump, all new gaskets/shaft seal. Is it possible that there are plumbing problems underground large enough that it is causing that much of an air leak?

Can both be happening from the same problem?

My main concern at this time is that running the pump with it loosing its prime, dropping to "0" psi every few minutes will damage the pump. Should this be a concern? Or, is it ok to continue to get the pool clean and clear for the season, then deal with the air/water issue?

(The light has been removed, the bottom main drain has been glassed over, and the line at bottom of skimmer blocked.)

FYI
Tackled the project of digging up the line from the skimmer to the pump last weekend. They had used a flexible PVC that had numerous small holes in it, also had a leak at the connection at the bottom of the skimmer. After replacing line there is no air in the system!! The water leak is either gone or slowed down drastically. Now on to convert the swamp to swim-able water.
Thanks for the help!

I feel your pain on this one too, as I just had to cut up the concrete to get to a bad PVC fitting on the bottom of my skimmer a few weeks ago, in my case it is a 35 year old pool and someone had used a DWV drain fitting elbow on the bottom of the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.