Shawnee/KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC1 (RC-35)
Pool builders opened the pool about 2 weeks ago. The winter cover was removed to reveal some pretty green and murky water. They added about 8-9 40lb bags of salt. I have been using test strips until the TF100 arrived. First time testing with TF100 revealed:
FC: 10
pH: 7.2
TA: 70
CH: 125
CYA: <20
Salt Test Strip: Not sure how to read. Red to orange line at 8.8; orange to yellow line 1.4

I have 2 3" stabilized chlorinating tablets dissolving in the skimmers (which are barely dissolving after 4 days) and have kept the pump running 24/7 since opening. Back washing and rinsing as needed. I know I need to add CYA but not sure if I should just buy concentrated CYA or use up the pucks. I hate to keep running the pump 24/7. The water has cleared considerably but still can't see the bottom in the 8' deep end. Not sure what to do with the salt, the salt water generator seems to be working fine and stopped telling us to add salt.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You are heading in the right direction-ordering a good test! NICE!

Until your test kit gets there add a gal. of bleach each night and keep your pump running to try to stay ahead of the green monster named algae.

As soon as your test kit gets there let us know and we can help with the SLAM

Kim

Starting SLAM tonight. Here are my numbers before adding 3 gallons of bleach.

FC: 3
TA: 60
CH: 100
CYA: 30
Salt: 1960
Chlorine: 3
CC: .5

About an hour after adding the bleach the FC was 15.

Here are a few pics right after adding the bleach. Any suggestions during this process would be appreciated.

Good numbers for the start of a SLAM.

-Brush the pool to stir up the algae so the bleach can kill it and the filter get it out.
-Test as often as you can
-bring the FC up to SLAM level or just over after each test.
-write down all of your tests so you can chart your FC usage.

You will not have to SLAM long as you caught it in time.

Have you taken the light out to clean inside of the niche? If not please do so.

Let me know if you have any questions I have not covered.

Kim

Your water looks clear and the numbers are good, though the FC is a little low. If you are not experiencing chlorine loss overnight your slam may not have been necessary and depending on your numbers this morning you can adjust the SWG to generate a little more CL, turn the SWG back on swim. (IMO)
Mark

Starting SLAM tonight. Here are my numbers before adding 3 gallons of bleach.

FC: 3
TA: 60
CH: 100
CYA: 30
Salt: 1960
Chlorine: 3
CC: .5

About an hour after adding the bleach the FC was 15.

Here are a few pics right after adding the bleach. Any suggestions during this process would be appreciated.

First, welcome to TFP.

A very important thing to make sure of, is doing your absolute best not to let the FC slip below SLAM level any more than you can help. The better you do at that, the faster this will go. Looking good to start, just keep that FC up to, or just a touch over SLAM value as you are there with 15 PPM FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.