Return jets

marc76

May 6, 2015
I've been looking around and can't find anyone who has this issue. I just bought a house in January where the former owner would appear to have had had a disorder of the mental kind with all the unbelievable nonsensical issues that we have found in the house. That's another story though. The house has an inground pool, that I think is roughly 16x34. But I noticed that both return jets are placed in the shallow end. None are located in the deep end across from the skimmer! I grew up with pools and this is the first time I have ever seen this. The surface is constantly littered with **** because nothing is going into the skimmer. By the time the water gets to the dep end it really is barely moving let alone being directed into the skimmer. Has any one experienced this? And did you have a remedy for getting the surface moving into the skimmer? I can't believe a pool company would do this design. It is completely retarded and inefficient. Any suggestions how to get the water moving correctly so the skimmer can work?

Usually the best strategy is to try to promote a circular rotation in the pool. This is typically done by pointing the return eyeballs in the same direction, either clockwise or counterclockwise whichever seems to work best.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, I do have them pointed to get a circular motion, however the one eyeballs greatest angle, at best, 45°s across the pool. As well, with that distance the water retards the jets power so that about halfway there's very little noticeable movement. Ian contemplating doing a dye test to see if anything is getting to the skimmer at all. The surface is literally never clean.

You don't say what size the openings are in your eyeballs, I have seen them with 1/2" on line. They would flow less by volume but at more pressure allowing you to focus more toward the surface which is what you are trying to move. Just my two cents...
Ernie

That is true, smaller eyeballs, more pressure. I think mine are half inch. Sunplay.com has all sizes. Another idea is point them the other direction to see if that is better than what you have now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm for sure going to look into better jets. I assume these are somewhere between 3/4" to 1"? An update as well, the pool company that opened the darn thing never opened the skimmer lines either. So it was drawing from the floor intake only. That has helped opening the skimmer line, but I need those jets to control the movement.

An update as well, the pool company that opened the darn thing never opened the skimmer lines either. So it was drawing from the floor intake only. That has helped opening the skimmer line, but I need those jets to control the movement.
Try to run circulation with skimmers being open and see what surface movement you can get.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.