Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
New pool (shown in the Under Construction section). Looking for a pool service as we will be gone quite a bit over the summer. The service person and I were discussing what was needed with a SWG pool and he made a long statement how several states (California, Florida, etc) had tested SWG and shown that they increase the calcium in the water. I cannot figure the chemistry in that. Now our area has high CH source water (250) so it will increase over time in the pool with evaporation thus leading to a drain and fill every year or so. But the SWG adding calcium? Any thoughts?

He also stated that we had to monitor phosphates in this area due to bird fecal matter causing yellow algae. Said they use Sodium Bromide as the chlorine does not kill it. Another one I cannot resolve --

Take care.

Tough part is another one I talked to was worse. Said no need to do any water testing. Just add what they always add!! Yikes!!

Oh my! As far as I know salt water does not magically convert to calcium. It will raise the total dissolved solids reading but that is not generally something you need to worry about.

For the second question, as long as you maintain adequate chlorine levels the phosphate level does not matter. I can only imagine how many birds have to be pooping in your pool to create that yellow algae! As far as I can tell, this guy's advice is for the birds!

I would ignore the advice from that "service" person. SWGs don't add or raise calcium. Ask for copies of any state's studies that make such a claim. He won't be able to produce them.
Sodium bromide should not be added. Phosphates can be ignored.

Don't fall for the phosphate story. I learned the hard way by listening to a pool store guy before I found TFP. Yes phosphates are food for algae, but if you're keeping your chlorine level where it needs to be, and killing the algae, then there is nothing to feed on the phosphates. Don't waste your money on phosphate remover, spend it on a good adult beverage by your sparkling clear pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.