Replumbing the pad advice

dickeystorm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
Hi all,

I'm preparing to replumb my equipment pad. To many leaks and to many patchs, time to do it right, any tips are welcome. I've been looking at the Jandy neverlube valves vs a less expensive ball valve with a union on either side for easy replacement should it fail, thoughts?

For pipe, is schedule 40 or schedule 80 typically used? For all the various fittings and unions, are the box store components reliable enough? I'm under the impression that they are the same regardless of where I get them.

I'm removing a heater and simplifying the run. I'll post before and after pics eventually when done.

Thanks

Definitely use the Neverlube (or equivalent) valves. I suggest the 2/2.5 versions so 2" pipe will slip into the valve.

Schedule 40 is the standard, I recommend using 2" ... and only use Sch 40 fittings, no DWV fittings.

That is not uncommon ... head loss on the suction side is a little more of a big deal. There can also be issues if the head loss is too low on the return side (but this would require some pretty special circumstances I think).

Certainly safe to use 2" everywhere.

Use rigid 3/4" for the booster pump. I hate hate hate Polaris hose. Inevitably the retaining ring on the Polaris fitting will slip and water will spray everywhere. They are also a pain to install/remove/reinstall.

Use unions on both sides of everything!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are some shots of the process...during replumb.jpgafter replumb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Crabboy, yes there is consrete under the heater. You can see it in the pic in the previous post.

msumoose, I agree, didn't think of it though. A future upgrade. Those retaining rings you mentioned ripped my hand up and fought me every inch of the way.

For the curious, here's what a dirty DE filter looks like. With a clean view, an inside view and all the parts that makeup the filter.

dirty de filter.jpg
inside bottom grid.jpg
what's in a de-4800 filter.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And finally, my reward for all the work...more work ... (sarcasm) ...

reward1.jpgreward2.jpg

dead stuff and nasty and smelly :( :( :( tomorrow begins the slam

No, THIS is what a dirty DE filter looks like. :mrgreen:

P01_zpsa1b7b98e.jpg

Day 2, more raking and vacuuming...

day 2a (Small).jpg
day 2 b (Small).jpg

so far we had to backwash and recharge the DE filter 3 times. I expect to have to backwash once more. Hopefully I'll get the vacuuming done and without backwashing and I'll break it down and clean it out thoroughly.

The dark stuff in the bottom is a mix of oak leaves and oak pollen due to a large tear in the BRAND NEW cover, doesn't pay to buy cheap.

Took about 10 bottles of bleach.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.