Noisy Pump

Jul 21, 2008
St Marys, Kansas
I have a Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 1.5 HP pump that is about 18 months old. I run the pump 24/7 during the swimming season. A couple of weeks ago the pump really started sounding bad. This seemed to coincide with a hard rain that raised the water level in my pool above the high water mark... doesn’t seem like this would cause any issues.

The pump still works… the force of the water coming through the inlet has not diminished and the skimmer basket needs to be cleaned on a regular basis... the pump just sounds horrible.

My initial thought was to take the pump apart and spray the bearings with WD-40, however, a search on Waterway’s web site told me that the pump never needs lubrication.

We are at the end of the swimming season here in NE Kansas, so I am running the pump only 2-4 hours a day (when I add bleach)… planning to close the pool this weekend.

Does anyone have any experience with a noisy pump?

Hi guys and welcome to TFP!! (John - I went to the Hill School in Pottstown 8) )

One of the most common reasons for pumps getting loud is the shaft seal assembly has failed and water is getting into the motor's internals :(

With the pump running, look at the area under the pump where the motor is attached for drips or water - this would indicate a seal failure. I can help you with replacing a failed one (as can many other folks here).

I hope that you both can get your motors back into shape!

:bump: :cop:

Well, I'm starting to have this same issue and was hoping to see an answer...that I liked! :lol:

My pump is new so I don't think anything should be worn out yet. It only started once the weather started getting a little cooler at night...say a couple of weeks ago. It only happens when I first turn the pump back on after being off all night and only lasts about 30 seconds to a minute at most. Then all is well and working fine. It kind of sounds like something needs to be lubed, but my manual doesn't say anything about lubing any part of the motor. For the record, I haven't done a thing to it as far as lubing goes. There is no water leaking and no signs of any other problems. I have checked the impeller and actually clean it out every couple of weeks so that shouldn't be it. Anybody have any clues for me? :scratch:

Jason, I'm not familiar with your specific pump so can't tell you where the peices are nor the part #s but will give you the basics of what needs to be done.

First, turn off the pump and prevent water from entering the pump and filter (you may have valves on the suction and return that can do this - or you may have to plug the poolside ports). Kill the power to the pump (unplug it or turn off the breaker). Now you need to gain access to the impeller, this usually involves breaking apart the pump housing (the pump housing should be in 2 parts so break that apart first to allow you access to where the impeller is) - sometimes they're screwed together but most often, you need to unscrew some bolts. If you have the owner's manual or can find an 'exploded view' of the pump, that would show you where to unbolt it and also what the part #s are for what needs to be replaced. (**keep track of what you disassemble and how it was oriented so you can put it all back together correctly!!**)

Once you have the impeller in sight you need to lock the shaft and unscrew the impeller (the seal is behind the impeller) - some shafts can be locked with a wrench, others with a screwdriver. Having already purchased a new shaft seal assembly, remove the old one and install the new one (**make sure you put the new one in correctly! - put it in the same orientation as the old one! they can be installed 'backwards' and will soon fail if you do :( !**)

After that, all you need do is reverse the process and it's all good :)

I know that this isn't very detailed :grrrr: but I don't know these units - if you can post the exploded view or the link to the owner's manual - I can give you more detailed advice. If you're in the middle of it and need help, come here and perhaps I, or one of the other kind folks here, will be on-line and be able to help :)

Karen, your motor just misses the harmonic of it running while you're making margaritas and floating around listening to Jimmy :mrgreen:

It sounds like the shaft has developed some minor rust and it's a temporary thing when the motor is off for a while (is any water - dew, rain, leaking backwash hose - regularly wetting the motor?) Keeping any water source off of the motor may stay the problem 8)

Oh Waste... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: ...why didn't I think of that?!?!?! Guess I'd better get to makin' those margaritas!! :shock: :mrgreen: (discovered mango margaritas this summer...yummy! :cheers: )

No water regularly getting in the motor. We haven't had rain in a while and I actually have an umbrella over the equipment for at least some protection. Could this really be rusting already??? Interestingly enough, this morning I didn't turn the pump back on until around 11 and it didn't make a peep! It was @75 - 80 by then. Could temperature have something to do with this?? It's usually been around 7 am and high 50s low 60s when I turn it on that it gets cranky. I think I'll check this out in the morning and see if there's still a difference between the times of day and report back. :bowdown:

FWIW - midtngal's problem is now being addressed here

Gary, thank you for the kind words :oops: How're things going re. BBB and Julie? (no new children on the way :lol: )

I try to give back to the sites that have helped me do my job better by giving 'good' advice to those who need it :angel:

Thanx for continuing to post!! (again I love your 'turn of phrase' :goodjob: )

Please call me Ted (waste is just a moniker I thought was needed before I realized that I don't need anominty on these sites :wink: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Ted ... Since jbmawhinn (the originator of this thread) may still have followup questions, I thought it would be better to reply in a new message. I'll post an update in "The Coffee Bar" later tonight or tomorrow. Since this will likely not be of wide interest, that seems like a good place. I'll title it "Update for Ted". If you're wondering why it might not be until tomorrow, I should point out that the Tampa Bay Rays are playing tonight for the American League East Championship and I'll be watching history unfold! Whoduv ever thunk it, huh? -- Cheers, Gary

Hi Ted,

Attached is the exploded view of the pump. I have the side discharge model... not sure if it is the 'supreme'.

If I am reading the diagram correctly, and considering your post, it appears that I may need a new 'seal kit'.

I have shut down my pool for the season :cry: , so it will be easy to bring the pump inside for repair.

Thanks for your help.
Jason

Attachments

• Pump - Exploded View.JPG
    Pump - Exploded View.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 661
Jason, yeah - it's the seal kit you want. It probably wouldn't hurt to change out the volute o-ring while you're in there. One of the views shows 'philips screws' but I'm still unclear as to whether they screw into the volute or through it and are secured by a nut - either way with a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench, you should have no trouble breaking it apart and then reassembling it :)

How to seize the shaft is still in question but it's usually done by removing the back cover of the motor and either putting a screwdriver on the end of the shaft or the shaft is notched so as to accept a 7/16, 1/2 or 9/16" open end wrench.

I wish you good luck with the changeout - if you need more help, simply ask :)

Umm - my pump/motor started making a high pitched (painfully high pitched) whine after a recent rain. I can't find the manual but from the diagarm I can see that the washer from the SLINGER had moved away from the SLINGER(?) and the ROD that goes from the motor has b build up of rust.

Can I just squirt some WD40 around the outside bits FIRST before attempting to take the whole thing apart?

Thanks,

dpool

I was planning to purchase a new pump/motor and leaf trap because my is an OFF PLANET brand and I can't get the trap cover OFF the thing - ever. I want to go with a name brand so hopefully I can get replacement parts and o-rings as needed.

dpool,

You can try the WD-40, it is petroleum based and can harm any rubber gaskets that get hit, but I'd give it a try to reduce the noise - it'll eat the rust that is probably causing the 'squealing'. However, as you can't get replacement parts for the pump - you are better off doing as you said and replacing the pump with a brand that you can get parts for, again - I'm leaning towards the shaft seal assembly as the culprit on this. If you check the link I gave above to mdtngal's problem - Tim (Spishex) gives 2 good reasons why pumps sometimes get loud :goodjob:

Good luck with this! If you have any more questions, there is a 'hard-core' bunch of us that log on ~ every day, even through our winter 8)

Hi Ted,

Just getting back to this pump project...

I have started to take apart the motor. I have the phillips screws, volute cover, o-ring, and cosmetic ring off but can't figure out how to get the impeller off. There are no screws going through the impeller.

I have taken pictures but they are too large to attach... can I send them to you via email?

Jason, feel free to send pics, as a lifetime supporter I've got lots of room in my PM box :goodjob:

Even without the pics, let me see if I can help you. The impeller screws on to the shaft - therefore, figuring out how to lock the shaft so it won't spin whilst you unscrew the impeller is necessary. You may need a strap wrench or large channel locks to turn the impeller itself, but the shaft is often locked with a boxend wrench (7/16. 1/2 0r 9/16") or a screwdriver. If you send the pics, I'll see if I can't figure out which way your motor is set up to do the seal changeout :)

Hope you're having a good winter!

Ted (my e-mail is [no laughing at the name...] [email protected] 8) )

Jason,

Hope Ted has got you covered. Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain with this pump. With some narrow vice grips you can usually grab the shaft of the motor from the bottom of the pump housing (there's a wider access there than on the sides) if it's not easy to get from the back of the motor, but it's still tricky to get a good grip on the impeller since it's completely recessed. The 'tool' they make for this is called an impeller wedge. Basically a tiny chock block for your imepeller that allows you to pin it in place and then continue to turn the shaft counter clockwise.

Unfortunately, it often just ends in a broken impeller. :( My success rate with this pump is probably 50%, so I always keep a new impeller and housing handy when I do a motor replacement on one.

Good luck!

Jason, got the pics and it's pretty much as Tim just said.

You can lock the shaft with a large flat head screwdriver at the back of the motor OR you can use vise grips on the shaft between the housing and the motor. If you go the screwdriver way, you can lock onto the screwdriver to help hold it while removing the impeller. Like Tim said, it's kind-o hard to get a good grip on the impeller and it may break (or you may have to destroy it) to get it to unscrew (therefore, having a new one on hand is probably a GOOD idea :wink: )

The threads are normal (ie. - 'righty tighty - lefty loosey') so at least you know which way to attempt to turn the impeller to get it off [doesn't THAT sound like something that censors would edit :mrgreen: ].

I'll be away for a couple of weeks come Wed. - in my absence, I have all faith that Tim, and other members here, will answer any questions you may have. If, somehow, you still need my input on this, I will certainly be logging on by the 21st when I get my daughter for our annual winter visit week :-D

Just re-read what's already been posted on doing a seal replacement or motor changeout and you'll be fine 8)

Umm - my pump/motor started making a high pitched (painfully high pitched) whine after a recent rain. I can't find the manual but from the diagarm I can see that the washer from the SLINGER had moved away from the SLINGER(?) and the ROD that goes from the motor has b build up of rust.

Can I just squirt some WD40 around the outside bits FIRST before attempting to take the whole thing apart?

Thanks,

dpool

I was planning to purchase a new pump/motor and leaf trap because my is an OFF PLANET brand and I can't get the trap cover OFF the thing - ever. I want to go with a name brand so hopefully I can get replacement parts and o-rings as needed.

I shot some WD 40 in the front of my motor and it stopped making noise. Runs smooth now. Not sure how long it will last but works fine now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.