First Test Results :) What next?

Apr 29, 2015
Los Angeles
I used the TF-100 test kit as suggested to me. I have been adding bleach to my pool daily as suggested, until I received my test kit which I received today. Please let me know where I am supposed to go from here.

FC: 7.5
CC: .5
T/A: 150
CH: 675
CYA: 85

PoolMath only does calculations. It does not tell you what to do. That is up to you to decide (with our help for now of course ;) )

That result is not correct. Check the volume you have entered and make sure the TA is set.

Like I said, your CYA is tolerable, unless you want to replace half the water ... figured you did not want to do that given you state's water issues.

You are correct. I added the TA. Now it says 574 ounces. I would prefer not to change the water, as you are correct California is having a huge water problem right now.

I will go to the store today to purchase some muriatic acid. Other than that, am I ready to go? I've been using bleach. Is that the best solution? Or should I purchase some other type of chlorine?

PoolMath only does calculations. It does not tell you what to do. That is up to you to decide (with our help for now of course ;) )

That result is not correct. Check the volume you have entered and make sure the TA is set.

Like I said, your CYA is tolerable, unless you want to replace half the water ... figured you did not want to do that given you state's water issues.

Long term it again will be up to you how to chlorinate your pool. Many of us use bleach, butt in many areas higher % chlorinating liquid is available. I would say use bleach for right now and get a handle on how all of this works together.

Muratic acid comes in two strengths. I get mine at Lowes and use the higher strength. The bottle cost about the same but you use less of the higher. If you go to Lowes, it's in the paint section, blue label bottle.

To add acid I like to get in front of a return on my hands & knees and splash a little water on the pool deck. Then open the acid bottle and partially submerge it in the water. Tilt the bottle to pour the acid in at close to water level, but don't let the bottle get submerged. I don't measure because it's an additional step for me to spill the stuff. Remove the bottle from the water and set it down in the puddle on the pool deck while you replace the cap. Try not to breathe the fumes.. Guess a little low on amount you need, then test again after it circulates well. You can always add more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should be good to go. Keep all your parameters in line using the ABCs of pool water chemistry and your TF100.

Is it because my borate is set at 0? Just checked ABC's and it says if I'm not intentionally adding borate, there is no reason to check for it.

The calculator says " Given TA of 150 and Borate of 0:
Add by weight or by volume of washing soda or soda ash
or add by weight or by volume of borax.
Add 574 oz of 31.45 20 degree muriatic acid
or add by weight or by volume of dry acid.
Note: pH calculations depend on TA and Borate. Results are approximate and can be off significantly for large pH changes. Changing your pH will also change your TA.

I am sure it is set at 21,500. I put in the dimensions and that is what it gave me.

Good catch, that would only be 36 gallons of MA, give or take.

I just plugged your numbers in and it told me to add 92 oz MA to go from 8.2 pH to 7.2 pH.

Double check your numbers in the NOW & TARGET columns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.