Pool drained for CYA control...is there anything I should do while it is empty...

Feb 28, 2009
College Station, Texas USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've just drained my 9,000 gal in-ground, plaster-finish pool to get a fresh start before summer, because the CYA had gotten out of control. I was using the 3" CL pucks, and fully aware of the consequences. My CYA concentration was at least above 100, but how much more I do not know, since the gauge on that little cylinder only goes to 100.

Anyway, that water is gone now and the pool is empty. Are there any routine maintenance items I should consider before putting water back in? I can see that my pool light fixture has water in it, so that I can fix no problem. I do have some white scale on my blue tile surround, and the scale is at about where the water level is normally. What might remove this? And, what about a light acid wash on the plaster itself? Not really sure that I know what I am talking about here - but, since the pool is empty at the moment, which makes for some good opportunities, I thought I'd ask the experts!...

The white line might come off with some diluted muratic acid and scrubbing ... or a pumice stone ... or bead/soda blasting.

I would not acid wash the pool unless you have bad calcium scaling ... it will just shorten the life of the plaster. Also, you really should not leave the pool empty and exposed to the heat and sun for very long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.