Flow rate question for JBlizzle

May 3, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
There is no real need to know the flow rate. Just set it to be adequate for what you need done like skimming, etc.

See the article in Pool School about determining pump run time.

Jason, I thought that knowing your flow rate in GPM will help you set pump operating time such that you turn over pool water once every 24 hrs. I don't understand the "adequate for what you need..." in the reply. I have a similar pump and am struggling with the same issue. Pentair charts assume you you know your pool dynamic head, but I don't. I searched the subject on the net and got conflicting opinions for how to estimate your dynamic head.

And why could you have have answered, Patrick? ;)

Adequate for what you need =
- Enough to close the flow switch on a SWG
- Enough to activate the pressure switch in a heater
- Enough that your pool surface is skimmed effectively
- Enough to run your cleaner
- Etc

It is trial and error. No sense in trying to calculate the dynamic head which is both non-trivial and varies with different pump speeds.

Turn over rate is meaningless and not important in private pools. See: Determine Pump Run Time

Since I don't run a cleaner and don't have a heater, I cannot immediately tell what is enough. Also, I'm trying to get a $1,000 DWP rebate for installing a Pentair Intlliflo pump. They require that you program the operating time and RPM such that the pool water will be turned over once in 24 hours. To be able to set operating time and RPM, I need to know or estimate the flow rate. Another restriction imposed by DWP is that the pump will operate only between 8pm and 10am.

Their requirement is dumb. Ask them how to determine what RPM/flow rate is required to achieve a turn-over ... I bet they have no idea so how are they going to know what is the right setting? Plus you can change the setting right after they leave.

Turn over and flow rate are meaningless in a private residential pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.