determining speed to run variable speed pool pump

mkp75

Apr 20, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
We recently purchased a home with a pool and I am quickly trying to learn everything i can to maintain the pool. Fortunate to have discovered this website. I have a variable speed pool pump and a 14K gallon pool (specifics details about my pool are below). I was trying to figure out what speed I can run the pump to allow proper circulation of water and to be most energy efficient.

Some additional info...i live in Vegas where the summer temps are high...I have a spa which is slightly elevated with a waterfall from the spa into the pool (I've noticed that I need to keep the pump running at 1500 rpm to maintain the waterfall). I currently run the pool 9 hrs a day (9am-6pm)- 6hrs at 1800 rpm and 3 hrs at 2800 rpm (based on recommendations I got at Leslie's). The 3hrs at the higher speed are to allow my Hayward cleaner to clean the pool, which doesn't seem to move well at the lower speeds.

So my question is if there is a way to lower my pump speed while maintaining circulation of water from my spa to the pool and to have my cleaner continue to run (sorry if this is a bit confusing).

The Intellipro's most efficient (GPM/Watt) speed is around 1000 RPM so I would stay about that. The next consideration is the skimmers. Too low a flow and they may not collect debris very well so you may need to up the speed for that. Cleaners as well require higher speeds then the most efficient. So the short answer is trial an error.

But I can tell you that 9 hrs a day is way too much run time. Most pools can get away with 4 hours or less run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.