filter removal for the winter

kidsluv2swim

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
I think I am almost done with pour first winter closing of our AG pool :cry: . We got the cover on, barely! They do not leave any extra room on those things! I bought some clips and plastic wrap to go around the edge of the cover because we get a lot of wind and my neighbor loses his cover every year! Any thoughts on these?

My real question is about my Hayward filter. I just took it apart and hosed down the inside removing all the residual DE from the flex tubes. It is all clean now, and I am pleased that I was able to do this without the help of my husband who works too many hours to worry about this stuff. Anyway, now what...? I am bringing the filter in the basement to protect it from the freezing cold New England winter. Do the flex tubes need any special care? Is it okay for them to dry out? I put the filter back together thinking that it will be all ready to go in the spring, should I have left it apart for the protection of the flex tubes for any reason?

Hi, can't help you on the filter issue as I know zero about DE filters.

As for the cover, I understand the wrap works well. We tried the clips the first year and found it didn't work well at all. Maybe you'll get better results using the combination. I have seen people bungee cord the cover and stake them down, or use milk jugs for added weight. I agree, they don't give you much extra room at all, I'm not looking forward to covering ours, it's the worst part about owning a pool, opening and closing. Ugh.

Good luck!

Letting the fingers dry out over the winter isn't a problem :)

I just want to check and make sure you thoroughly cleaned them and reassembled the top in the right position to match up with your plumbing 8)

I know a fair bit about DE filters, so if you have any more questions about yours - simply ask and I'll get back to you.

Have a great winter!! :-D

I bought a new winter cover this year that has a long skirt on it. I don't know how far it will come down the sides, but it's got to be better than the ones that barely make it under the top rail. Soon as I put it on, I'll take a picture. It may be a while though - Mother Nature has been toying with the temps here lately.

MikeInTN said:
I bought a new winter cover this year that has a long skirt on it. I don't know how far it will come down the sides, but it's got to be better than the ones that barely make it under the top rail. Soon as I put it on, I'll take a picture. It may be a while though - Mother Nature has been toying with the temps here lately.

Me too! I actually turned my heater back on, brought the water up to 88 and got in to vacume yesterday. It was so nice I stayed in for awhile. IT was a rare fall treat! Still warm today so I might go back in....now I think I'll wait a couple weeks before I close.

I was thinking about breaking the solar blanket back out myself, but decided against it. This time of year our weekends are pretty full with football and hockey, so really no time to hop in and float. Without the blanket, the temps are staying in the mid 70's, which is a wee bit too brisk for this ol' fella to handle. Yep, I'm spoiled!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.