Small leak around return on outside wall of metal pool, what to do?

Apr 16, 2013
Eatonton Georgia
I just noticed today there is a thin "sheet" of water running down the wall of my pool from where the return fitting goes through. The gasket looks to have deteriorated from what I can see of it between the fitting and the pool wall. Doesn't seem to be bad now but will only get worse over time. What's the best course of action? Taking it out and replacing it would involve losing water down to skimmer level but that's not a lot. Would maybe trying to use some Permatex gasket sealer around the outside of the fitting serve as a temporary fix until swim season is over and I drop the water to skimmer/ return level anyway?

There is a trick you could try, although might be tricky. You could put a new gasket in a large bowl, then hold the bowl over the jet on in the inside of the pool. Then remove the jet from the outside so you only lose the water in the bowl. Then you have to try to work the new gasket on and get the fitting back through the hole.

Likely a little easier said than done, but I know I have read of a few cases where something like this was done.

There is a trick you could try, although might be tricky. You could put a new gasket in a large bowl, then hold the bowl over the jet on in the inside of the pool. Then remove the jet from the outside so you only lose the water in the bowl. Then you have to try to work the new gasket on and get the fitting back through the hole.

Likely a little easier said than done, but I know I have read of a few cases where something like this was done.
Actually that sounds like a plan! Especially if I can have someone else on the inside of the pool holding the bowl while I have my hands free to work on the outside. Thanks! Now to find out where to get the gaskets. So far I'm only seeing the whole assembly online.

I was looking at this again, I looked up the diagram, and I cannot figure out the logic. There is a rubber gasket that goes between the inlet fitting and the liner and then a cardboard gasket that goes between the outside liner and inside pool wall and then one more cardboard gasket between the outside pool wall and the nut holding it all on. Why on earth would they use cardboard? No wonder it leaks!

Mine doesn't leak. It will if it starts to deteriorate but new ones do not leak and they're all made that way. You can get what you need at the pool store. They're good for something.

They are not cardboard. It is a paper gasket material that is used all the time. The paper gasket on the outside of the pool is also not what seals it. The rubber gasket on the inside is the seal. Any attempt to try to seal it from the outside will only hide the leak that may also be running down between the liner and the wall.

To change this, you will need the new inner seal. If you have a plug for the return this also makes it a bit easier. usually it is a 1-1/2" pvc plug that goes in place of the eye. Put the plug in and disconnect the return hose/pipe. Start to loosen the retaining nut that holds the return in place. Have someone help hold the return against the wall while doing this. Quickly, remove the return assembly and have the helper cover the hole. You will lose a little water but not much. Put the new gasket in place and reverse the process to re-assemble the return into the hole.

They are not cardboard. It is a paper gasket material that is used all the time. The paper gasket on the outside of the pool is also not what seals it. The rubber gasket on the inside is the seal. Any attempt to try to seal it from the outside will only hide the leak that may also be running down between the liner and the wall.

To change this, you will need the new inner seal. If you have a plug for the return this also makes it a bit easier. usually it is a 1-1/2" pvc plug that goes in place of the eye. Put the plug in and disconnect the return hose/pipe. Start to loosen the retaining nut that holds the return in place. Have someone help hold the return against the wall while doing this. Quickly, remove the return assembly and have the helper cover the hole. You will lose a little water but not much. Put the new gasket in place and reverse the process to re-assemble the return into the hole.
This morning I got it tight enough to stop the leak. I guess the inner gasket sealed from what you are saying. It's starting to make some more sense now. I have the eye out right now and I'm looking at it. It looks like it should swivel but it's frozen up. Either that or it doesn't swivel and I'm imagining it. I could swear I re-aimed it in the pool once. This all started because I got tired of all the hoses and decided to hard pipe. Leak was there before that though.

1) You want that fixed right. As someone said, you cannot patch it from the outside. My brother did that, his pool wall rusted on the inside under the liner - then split wide open.

2) You can try the bowl thing, but as someone else said, you can also just use a towel. I have a Pentair Aqualuminator, which is a light that goes into the return fitting. The way the thing is designed, if you take the light out (it comes out from the inside) you cannot plug the hole from the outside - you have to put a plug in on the inside. You also have to take the light out for the winter - it can not freeze. I just take a folded up hand towel and have someone hold it over the hole while I remove the light and then put in a plug. Do it quick enough and the towel does not even soak all the way through.

-dave

2) You can try the bowl thing, but as someone else said, you can also just use a towel. I have a Pentair Aqualuminator, which is a light that goes into the return fitting. The way the thing is designed, if you take the light out (it comes out from the inside) you cannot plug the hole from the outside - you have to put a plug in on the inside. You also have to take the light out for the winter - it can not freeze. I just take a folded up hand towel and have someone hold it over the hole while I remove the light and then put in a plug. Do it quick enough and the towel does not even soak all the way through.

-dave

I was thinking about getting a return light, yours any good? Do you have pics?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.