Please Help

chili

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2008
Hey Guys,
I live in CT and have a 20,000 gal IG vinyl liner pool. Unfortunately it has been kind of neglected over the last couple of weeks. The kids stopped using it and I have not checked the chemical levels in a couple of weeks. I have an automatic chlorinator (liquid) and a DE filter and I would look under the cover every 2-3 days just to make sure it was still clear.
Anyway, all was ok until I checked it yesterday. There was a dead skunk floating in the pool and the liner is completely covered in green slime. I added 2-1/2 gallons of 12% and brushed the pool and it turned the water into pea soup.
I have read the info on dealing with the algae and think I can tackle this, but I am worried about the skunk, will keeping the chlorine at shock level long enough to kill the algae kill anything that may or may not have come from the skunk?
I have not taken new readings yet because the water is nasty, but the last time I checked they were
FC 5
CYA 80-90
Ph 7.4

I am sorry if I rambled or if I posted this in the wrong section but I am really worried about this, and to say my wife is freaking out would be an understatement.

TIA

Kevin

Maintaining shock level long enough to kill the algae will take care of the skunk stuff too. Just be aware that your high CYA requires a high shock level as well. 2.5 gallons of 12% won't get your pool to shock level. It would roughly get you to around 15ppm, which not only isn't high enough, it will be consumed very quickly. See Richard's chart in Pool School for appropriate shock levels. http://www.troublefreepool.com/category/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

chili said:
I am sorry if I rambled or if I posted this in the wrong section but I am really worried about this, and to say my wife is freaking out would be an understatement.
Kevin
Sorry I can't help. But I just post to welcome you to the forum,...
reassure you this is the right place and that advice you get here will be very good and...
lastly, to commiserate with you.

My wife freaks if a skunk gets within a mile or two of the place. I can not imagine what I'd have to go through if...
(a) a skunk got into the pool, dead or alive, and,
(b) anything died in the pool.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck. you'll get it cleaned out. :goodjob:

Hi Kevin :wave: Welcome to TFP!!

I'm in Ct (~Waterbury) and wouldn't mind coming over and checking out your pool (I've never made this offer before - but if some of the folks in the milder climes want me to check out their pools, all I need is a plane ticket :lol: )

The advice so far is right on :goodjob: - if you're close and need my live help, let me know.

Hi,
Thank you very much, that is very kind of you, I think I have it under control, I kept the fc level way up and vaccumed the entire pool (to waste, not through the filter) and have been brushing it for 2 days. The pool is crystal clear and looks great. I am wondering if the green slime was algae or the nasty stuff that comes from a skunk? or a combination of both.

Thank you again, I really appreciate the offer & will keep you posted

Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.