What to look for in an AG winter cover?

Apr 28, 2008
Hey folks! I live in the mid-West and am getting ready to close up our 24 ft AG for the winter. The winter cover that came with the pool lasted about half way through it's first winter last year and shredded so I need to get a new one soon. What should I look for in a winter cover? Any tips or tricks for covering a pool where it will freeze? Use floats or not? BTW, the pool is pretty much out in the open so leaves are not really an issue but wind is. Thanks in advance for your sage advice! -Joe

MikeInTN said:
If you don't have a problem w/ debris blowing in the pool, then I wouldn't cover it at all, especially since you have high winds to deal with as well.

I have been thinking of doing this myself. So safe to say, that if you drain pool below return and NOT put a cover on, there should be no problems? (I live in a HIGH wind area myself )Just wasnt sure what would happen with the high winds actually blowing around "in" the pool.(as far as wall structure)

Poolidiot said:
MikeInTN said:
If you don't have a problem w/ debris blowing in the pool, then I wouldn't cover it at all, especially since you have high winds to deal with as well.

I have been thinking of doing this myself. So safe to say, that if you drain pool below return and NOT put a cover on, there should be no problems? (I live in a HIGH wind area myself )Just wasnt sure what would happen with the high winds actually blowing around "in" the pool.(as far as wall structure)

I don't think it'd be a problem. After draining down below the upper return, you still have what? 40" or so of water in the pool? I think that would be more than enough to keep the walls sturdy.

I have a very similar pool. I get a little tree debre, enough to use a winter cover. I don't like the air cushions, they deflate and therefore loose their advantage. Go with a size bigger cover so it lays on the water. If you have it tight, it will rip. Secure the perimeter with something, I use the cable, some use water jugs.
I found the solar cover and the winter covers just don't last as long as they should.

We use an Arctic Armor flow through cover. We freeze solid but have never had any damage issues with this cover and we do freeze as solid as it comes up here. We do have a big problem with debris drop so it does a fine job of keeping junk out of the pool, they are made large enough to hang down and lay on top of the water and then some, comes with a cable system. I do, however, use a leaf net in the fall over the winter cover, then remove and store after all leaf drop, then put it back on in the spring for the big spring tree junk drop. That way we don't have massive amounts of leaves and sticks on the winter cover when we open. I open to nice clear water every spring, never have to worry about pillows or floats - it sits on the water and any additional snow/ice melt off and flow through into the pool but not the debris or junk. Never a swamp on top.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.