Leaks

sxch12

May 5, 2015
Novi MI
I bought a foreclosure house and the pool wasn't winterized. The pool is full of water. Does that mean the pipes in the ground is not leaking/broken? It's an inground pool with vinyl liner. How can I test it? Or who can I hire to test it? I'm in novi Michigan. How do I find a reputable company?

I also have to replace some fittings and valves to my filter. Can I also get all the valves from Howe depot or where can I get them? Do I use the same PVC primer and glue or is there specific ones for pools?

Welcome to TFP! Congrats in the new house and pool!

Yes, it is a good sign that the pool is full. Makes the odds that there is a leak less. Valves should be Jandy neverlube or Pentair or equivalent we do not recommend ball valves from the big box. But the sch40 pipes and elbows can come from there. Most people like the blue pvc glue. But, the regular stuff is fine too.

A local pool service company can make the repairs and get everything up and running. Maybe someone nearby will read this and be able to make a recommendation.

Here are some introductory articles
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

have you actually run the pump and pressurized the system? Many leaks may not show up until you put pressure on the pipe.

Your Real Estate agent should have a reputable pool company they use for inspections. My agent insisted on an inspection.

The house was a foreclosure and it was winter so everything was frozen. In addition the pvc pipes were busted and valves to the filter were cracked so we could not test any of it. Even so we would have bought the house. So, If there are cracks will that potentially flood our/neighbors house? I have to repair/replace the pipes so I have not even turned the system on. There is a lot of sediment/leaves/worms/ and I'm sure other things in the bottom of the pool. So shouldn't I first clean it before turning it on? I will also need to figure out the chemistry to get it clean and know how everything works. Any instructions that can tell me how to clean the pool and such?

1. make an assessment of the equipment and what it will take to get it up and running
2. order a TF100 from tftestkits.net with XL option
3. get a leaf rake and scoop out as much stuff as you can
4. turn on the pump/filter
5. SLAM the pool
6. swim and have a great summer

It sounds like you do not have any experience with a pool or pool equipment. There should not be any cracks in the plumbing that will flood your neighbor's house if you turn it on. If you turn on the pump and it leaks then turn it off, fix the leak and try again until all the leaks get fixed. Maybe it would be good to hire a local pool service company to give you an evaluation of the equipment and a once over on what you have. Or you can post some pics and we will try to evaluate from here.

So no pool experience here. So I should do steps 1-3 and once that is done then turn on pump? Hiw will I know it's working properly and no I the pipes around the pool in the ground? If there is dirt or sediment do I need to rake it all or will the filter take are of it? Thank you.

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you can post some current pictures of the pool that will help us answer your questions. I am assuming the water level in the pool is below the skimmer?

Will the leak rake get out all the muck? If not what do I use? Also, Does it matter if which one I get (The TF Test Kits TF100, Taylor K-2006, and Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit )? The Taylor K-2006 is cheaper and includes the Chlorine Test from amazon. Is there a difference between the Taylor K-2006 and K-2006C?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a comparison on test kits
Test Kit Comparison

Once you have leaf raked everything solid out of the pool you need to begin the SLAM process, SLAMing Your Pool. Which includes vacuuming to waste if you have a sand filter. Or some people use pool vacs and some use a hose to siphon out the muck.

There are a lot of swamp pool threads this spring where people have successfully SLAMmed their pools. It might be helpful to read through some of those to see what people are doing to their pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.