Is it possible to fix a leak in the return jet without draining?

May 5, 2009
NC
I just got our pool cleaned up from the winter, 2 weeks and lots of work....our pump stopped working near the end of the season last year. We no longer cover it because it is so difficult with the fencing around it and we get high winds frequently so it ends up tearing anyway. I just noticed a small leak in the return jet, a slow drip, not steady. I don't see any cracks, although the gasket could use replacing. It looks like the leak is coming from where it is threaded. Is it possible to repair it without draining it below the return? Thanks for any help you can offer! :D

I was confused when I read this as I thought I had already answered with an idea. Turns out it is a different thread:

There is a trick you could try, although might be tricky. You could put a new gasket in a large bowl, then hold the bowl over the jet on in the inside of the pool. Then remove the jet from the outside so you only lose the water in the bowl. Then you have to try to work the new gasket on and get the fitting back through the hole.

Likely a little easier said than done, but I know I have read of a few cases where something like this was done.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ool-what-to-do?p=791819&viewfull=1#post791819

That is how I added my hard plumbed returns without draining my pool. Works a treat, but is best with two people.

I'll probably have to wait for the water to warm up a bit more so either my husband or I can get in the pool to hold the bowl. We have fencing around the top of the pool so it would probably be near impossible to do it any other way. Glad to hear it works!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.