Considering draining / replacing water

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey all,

Last year I had to deal with the most obnoxious and worse, expensive metal problem I have had to deal with in over a dozen years. It looks like this year will be no different.

So since I have a few weeks before the swim season is here in NY, I am really considering replacing the water. But Ive never done this before. So I have a few questions:

- Liner pool - How much water is safe to drain at a time? Can I go a few feet below the skimmer? And lets say I do that, would 4 or 5 times doing that basically equal replacing all the water in the pool?

- Do I need to make sure the metals are sequestered well before draining? I have to assume any metal staining on the liner, stairs, etc that I do not have floating free in the water will just be there when I refill.

- My main drain has been disconnected for probably a decade. So the only way to drain is by pump, correct?

Thanks so much in advance. I just dont want to be dumping sequestering chemicals in the pool every 3 days like I had to last year. We have parties all summer long and when the kids are done swimming, I like bringing the FC high up... Which eats my sequester which gets even more expensive... Its just not something I want to do anymore. Its a losing battle :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.