AG pump of IG use

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
Will an above ground pool pump work on an Inground hot tub? The actual water level on the tub will only be about even with the inlet of the impeller and all but about a foot of piping in front of the pump would be above water level.

So my question is, if I install a check valve before the pump so the water can't flow back into the tub when the pump shuts down, once it's primed for the first time will it always be able to pull the water up the 3 inches to the strainer basket inlet? Also, this pump will be doing double duty as the pool filter too, so if I use the pool water to start the pump, then slowly switch over to the spa suction, will I lose prime?

I guess the real question is, once primed, can an AG pool pump (1HP) keep itself primed and pumping water if it's like 2" above water level?

Thanks,
Adam

Above ground pool pumps are generally not self priming and have lower maximum head than an above ground pump. If you can fill all the lines with water before turning on the pump and your plumbing has reasonably low total head then it should work.

Thanks, I think I'll be alright then. The top of the strainer is maybe 4 inches above the water level and I'm going to put a check valve a foot or two away from the pump intake so the water can't go back down the line somehow(and to prevent water from backflowing from pool to spa).

The pump will also be connected to an AG pool so if I do lose prime, I can use the pool water to start it, then slowly switch to the Spa(Inground).

I don't think the head will be too high, although the solar heat 12 ft. up isn't helping. The suction is 3" (34' of pipe) up until about 2 ft. in front of the pump where it T's off to the spa pump. That last two feet is 2" PVC. The return is all 2" PVC (with 3 solar panels)and I'm using double 45* bends to make all 90's to reduce head. I think it should flow pretty well.

Thanks,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.