Are my reagents still good?

Jun 10, 2014
Shohola, PA
Thank you for saving me from the pool store nonsense. I even have my kids reading this forum so they will learn the correct way of doing pool maintenance.

In doing my research on the shelf life of my test kit I came across some interesting information.

1. Test kit should be stored in a cool dry place.

2. Test kits should not be allowed to freeze.

I purchased a K2006 kit one year ago. I Stored it in the garage all year. (I can see you now head slapping yourself as you say you did what!). It Definitely froze as winter here was very cold.

Since I broke both golden rules is there a way of telling if my kit is still good? Or

Should I throw my hands in the air buy a whole new kit and chalk it up to a lesson learned?

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Some will be fine, some may not be. I would suggest buying a refill kit for it. The cost compared to the value it brings in protecting your pool and the people in it, is worth the relative small cost. Get a new set and be sure. Depending on the condition of your pool now, you might want to consider another kit, or extra refills.

The only way to kind of check would be to run a full test and then have a pool store or better yet, two test that same water and see if the results are in the ballpark.

Sounds like a good time to upgrade to the TF-100 ;)

I left mine in the shed all winter and it froze. Some of the test were normal with what I had in the fall when i closed. However my CH test was bunk. It was reading way higher than normal, 2000. I order a new CH test, along with some others i was low on. After redoing my CH test it was 300. So I would say replace either the whole kit, or at minimum replace the test you are getting odd results from. But as some have said, it could be a chance to upgrade to the TF100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.